- This article is about Musselburgh in Scotland. For Musselburgh in New Zealand, see Musselburgh, New Zealand
|Scottish Gaelic: Baile nam Feusgan|
Rennie Bridge over the River Esk
Musselburgh shown within East Lothian
|OS grid reference|
|Council area||East Lothian|
|Lieutenancy area||East Lothian|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|UK Parliament||East Lothian|
|Scottish Parliament||Midlothian North and Musselburgh|
Musselburgh (Gaelic: Baile nam Feusgan)1 is the largest settlement in East Lothian, Scotland, on the coast of the Firth of Forth, 6 miles (9.7 km) east of Edinburgh city centre. The population of Musselburgh is 21,900.2
They bridged the Esk downstream from the fort and in doing so they established the line of the main eastern approach to Scotland's capital for most of the next two thousand years. The bridge built by the Romans outlasted them by many centuries. It was rebuilt on the original Roman foundations some time before 1300, and in 1597 it was rebuilt again, this time with a third arch added on the east side of the river. The Old Bridge is also known as the Roman Bridge and remains in use today by pedestrians. To its north is the New Bridge, designed by John Rennie the Elder and built in 1806. This in turn was considerably widened in 1925.
The Battle of Pinkie Cleugh was fought south of Musselburgh.
Musselburgh is known as "The Honest Toun", and celebrates this by the annual election of the Honest Lad and Lass. The town motto "Honestas" dates back to 1332, when the Regent of Scotland, Randolph, Earl of Moray, died in the burgh after a long illness during which he was devotedly cared for by its citizens. His successor offered to reward the people for their loyalty but they declined, saying they were only doing their duty. The new regent, the Earl of Mar, was impressed and said they were a set of honest men, hence "Honest Toun."
The town and its population grew considerably throughout the latter half of the 20th Century, with major local authority and private housing developments on both the eastern and western outskirts. Prior to 1975, Musselburgh was in Midlothian, not East Lothian. It became part of the East Lothian District following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 and subsequently East Lothian unitary council area in 1996.
Schools include Loretto School, a private boarding school, and Musselburgh Grammar School, the local large comprehensive that is one of the oldest Grammar schools in the country, dating from 1608. Some students also attend St. David's R.C. High School in nearby Dalkeith. Primary Schools include; Campie Primary School, Musselburgh Burgh Primary School, Stoneyhill Primary School, Pinkie St Peter's Primary School, Loretto RC Primary School and Loretto Nippers (Private).
Musselburgh is served by two railway stations. Musselburgh railway station is in the west of the town, situated adjacent to Queen Margaret University and served by regular First ScotRail services from Edinburgh Waverley to North Berwick. It is a relatively new station, opened in 1988. The other station serving the town is Wallyford railway station to the east of the town in the village of Wallyford. Opened in 1994, this serves the eastern end of the town. The town's original station was situated close to the town centre at the end of a short branch from Newhailes Junction. Passenger services from there ceased in 1964 and the line ultimately closed to all traffic in the early 1970s. It is now a road bypassing the Fisherrow area of the town.
The A1 goes round the town and joins up with the A720 Edinburgh City Bypass at the edge of the town before heading into Edinburgh city centre. The A199 goes through the High Street to Edinburgh in the west and to Dunbar to the east. This was originally the A1 road (Great Britain) until the town's bypass was built in the mid-eighties.
Musselburgh is home to both Musselburgh Racecourse and Musselburgh Links golf course. The links which are a former venue of golf's Open Championship have recently been acknowledged as the oldest continuously played golf course in the world.6 Musselburgh Athletic F.C. are the town's junior football team playing in the Scottish Junior Football at Olivebank Park to the west of the town. Musselburgh RFC play in the RBS Championship B League at Stoneyhill. Musselburgh is also home to Musselburgh Windsor Football club ( Home field, Pinkie PLaying fields) and Musselburgh Youngstars FC ( Home field, Wallyford public park) both cater for boys and girls from the age of 6 ( age 5 for Musselburgh Youngstars) through to adulthood.
There is also a locally run darts league, known as the 'Musselburgh and District Darts League', comprising an A and B league, each containing eight teams. Many players from this league represent the Lothian team at county level.
- David Macbeth Moir Physician and writer
- John Grieve, recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Margaret Oliphant, novelist and historical writer, who usually wrote as Mrs. Oliphant.
- Yvonne Murray Athlete
- Rhona Cameron Comedian
- Kenny Miller Footballer
- Colin Nish Footballer
- Kris Renton Footballer
- Jason Holt Footballer
- John McGlynn Football manager
- Billy Brown Football coach
- Jim Jefferies Football manager
- Willie Ormond Footballer and manager
- John White Footballer
- Scott Murray Rugby player
- Alexander Carrick Sculptor
- Jimmy Martin Actor
- Susan Deacon Former Member of the Scottish Parliament
- Bill McPhillips Footballer
- Willie Jamieson Footballer
- John Clark Footballer
- Alan Morgan Footballer
- According to his autobiography, Sir Harry Lauder's parents lived at Musselburgh after he was born, where Harry's brothers Matthew, John, and Alexander, and a sister, Isabella, were all born. They moved to Derbyshire sometime after April 1881.
- Ross Muir Professional snooker player
- Kirsten Imrie, professional model and former Page Three girl
Brunton Hall provides access to East Lothian Council's services, as well as a theatre and restaurant
- "Musseburgh". National Place-Names Gazetteer. Ainmean-Àite na h-Alba. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Musselburgh". Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- Musselburgh was famous for the mussel beds which grew in the Firth of Forth; after many years of claims that the mussels were unsafe for consumption a movement has been started to re-establish the mussel beds as a commercial venture.
- Hugo Arnot, The history of Edinburgh, from the earliest accounts, to the year 1780, Edinburgh, 1816