Nashotah House is an Anglo-Catholic seminary in Nashotah, Wisconsin, approximately 30 miles (50 km) from Milwaukee, situated within the Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee. The seminary opened its doors in 1842 and received its official charter in 1847. The institution is generally regarded as one of the more theologically conservative seminaries in the Episcopal Church. It is also officially recognized by the Anglican Church in North America.
Nashotah House offers a variety of degree and certificate programs aimed at training clergy and lay leaders for ministries in the Anglican Communion:
- Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.)
- Master of Sacred Theology (S.T.M.)
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
- Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.)
- Master of Arts in Ministry (M.A. in Ministry)
It also offers a one-year certificate program in Anglican Studies, geared toward students who have received an M.Div. from a non-Anglican institution and wish to be ordained within the Anglican tradition. The M.A. in Ministry degree may be earned through a combination of residential and online study. The M.Div., M.T.S., S.T.M., D.Min. and M.A. in Ministry degrees are accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS). 1
Nashotah House was founded by three young deacons of the Episcopal Church: James Lloyd Breck, William Adams, and John Henry Hobart, Jr., all recent graduates of the General Theological Seminary in New York City, at the bidding of Bishop Jackson Kemper. Gustaf Unonius was the first graduate.
Nashotah House was, from the beginning, a center for High Church thought and discipline. Breck, the first dean, was highly committed to the principles of the Oxford Movement. Later, famous professors such as James DeKoven would bring Anglo-Catholic worship and practice to the seminary. This began with the daily celebration of the Eucharist as well as the use of vestments, candles, and incense.
Nashotah House considers itself to be within the orthodox Anglo-Catholic tradition. Overall, the faculty support traditional theology and conceptions of Christian doctrine in opposition to liberal theologies. Graduates themselves come from a variety of jurisdictions both inside and outside of the Episcopal Church. Nashotah House sees its mission to form priests and church leaders from all over the Anglican Communion, including several international students.
On 3 April 2009, an historic building which was part of the Nashotah House seminary property was destroyed by fire.2
The property of the Nashotah House Theological Seminary covers 365 acres (148 ha) of land.2
The main buildings of the seminary include:
- Chapel of St. Mary the Virgin
- Sabine Hall (faculty offices, student housing)
- James Lloyd Breck Refectory
- Shelton Hall (student housing)
- Lewis Hall (administration and faculty offices, the Saint Francis Oratory)
- Kemper Hall (classrooms, student housing, gymnasium)
- Webb Hall (faculty and guest housing, the Chapel of Saints Peter and Paul)
- The Tender Hearts Day Care Center
There are also apartments for both single and married students, and several houses for the dean and other faculty, as well as maintenance facilities.
Construction has been completed on a substantial addition to the refectory. The newly dubbed Adams Hall includes a large meeting hall and additional classrooms.
Nashotah began as a community inspired by traditional monastic life of prayer, work and study. James Lloyd Breck's vision was to create a center for Christian formation in the (then) wilderness that would also be movement to propagate other communities for the purpose of evangelizing the frontier. Today, much of this vision remains intact and students still live a Benedictine cycle of prayer,work and study. The life of the Seminary seeks to form the character of priests and leaders into the image of Christ. Various students have been involved in mission work around the Anglican Communion as well.
"Seminarians are invited to participate in an ascetic, disciplined, prayerful season of spiritual growth in Christ" in which they "practice the Benedictine Rule of daily prayer, labor, and study."3 All students have work crew assignments - cleaning bathrooms, mowing lawns, sweeping floors and taking other chores. Daily routine includes Morning Prayer, Mass, breakfast, classes, lunch, and Solemn Evensong. Always anticipated on the campus is the annual St. Laurence Cup, a flag football game played against students from Sacred Heart School of Theology and St. Francis Seminary (Wisconsin).4 The formerly annual Lavabo Bowl game was played against Seabury-Western Theological Seminary which no longer matriculates students for the traditional Master of Divinity degree.5
In February 2014, Bishop Edward L. Salmon, Jr. invited Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church USA, to preach at the school. The decision was condemned by the seminary's largely conservative supporters who cited Schori's tactics of suing parishes that left the ECUSA over doctrinal drift, as well as what they considered her heretical views. In response, two bishops who were members of the Nashotah House Board of Trustees resigned or distanced themselves from the school.6
- Keith Ackerman (born 1946), bishop of Quincy
- Richard Fish Cadle (1796-1857), first superior of Nashotah House
- James DeKoven (1831-1879), faculty member
- Louis Falk (born 1935), bishop, Anglican Church in America
- Daniel W. Herzog (born 1941), bishop of Albany
- William Wallace Horstick (died 1973), bishop of Eau Claire
- Benjamin Franklin Price Ivins (1884-1962), bishop of Milwaukee
- Russell Jacobus (born 1944), bishop of Fond du Lac
- Charles Jenkins (born 1951), bishop of Louisiana
- Christopher Kovacevich (1928–2010), metropolitan of Chicago, Serbian Orthodox Church
- William Jay Lambert III, bishop of Eau Claire
- Jeff Lee, bishop of Chicago
- Charles Wesley Leffingwell (1840-1928), editor of The Living Church
- Edwin M. Leidel, Jr., provisional bishop of Eau Claire
- William H. Love (born 1957), bishop of Albany
- John McKim (1852-1936), bishop of North Tokyo
- Don Moon (born 1936), physicist, president of Shimer College
- C. Wallis Ohl, Jr., provisional bishop of Fort Worth
- Alan M. Olson (born 1939), philosopher
- Mark Pae (born 1926), bishop of Taejong
- Harry Boone Porter (1923–1999), professor, editor of The Living Church
- Michael Ramsey (1904-1988), Archbishop of Canterbury, adjunct professor
- William Sheridan (1917–2005), bishop of Northern Indiana
- Harwood Sturtevant (1888-1977), bishop of Fond du Lac
- Gustaf Unonius (1810-1902), priest, author
- Arthur Anton Vogel (1924-2012), professor, bishop of West Missouri
- William C. Wantland (1934), faculty member, bishop of Eau Claire
- Reginald Heber Weller (1857-1935), bishop of Fond du Lac
- William Walter Webb (1857-1933), professor, president, bishop of Milwaukee
- Keith Bernard Whitmore, bishop of Eau Claire
- Gary Wilde (born 1952), priest, author
- Nashotah House - Degree Programs
- McCrady, Melissa and Sorgi, Jay (2009-04-03). Fire Destroys Historic Seminary Building. Retrieved on 2009-04-03 from http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/42379197.html.
- A Holy Renaissance
- The Missioner, Advent 2009 "Sacred Heartbreaker: Anglicans Fall to Romans 14-6," p. 7.
- Seabury-Western Theological Seminary As of late 2008 the seminary no longer matriculate students for the traditional Master of Divinity degree.
- Mary Ann Mueller, "Katherine Jefferts Schori's Invitation to Nashotah House Stirs Hornet's Nest", VirtueOnline, February 22, 2014. Accessed February 26, 2014.
- Nastotah House official website
- Historical resources on Nashotah House from Project Canterbury
- Nashotah House official photo blog