Prefecture building of the Nièvre department, in Nevers
Location of Nièvre in France
|• President of the General Council||Marcel Charmant|
|• Total||6,817 km2 (2,632 sq mi)|
|• Density||34/km2 (87/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|^1 French Land Register data, which exclude estuaries, and lakes, ponds, and glaciers larger than 1 km2|
Nièvre is part of the current region of Burgundy, although historically it was not part of the province of Burgundy, and it is surrounded by the departments of Yonne, Côte-d'Or, Saône-et-Loire, Allier, Cher, and Loiret. The département is crossed by the Loire river, the longest river in France.
Nièvre is a rural department with about 50 inhabitants / km². The main cities are : Nevers, Cosne-sur-Loire, Varennes-Vauzelles, Marzy, Decize, Imphy and La Charité. Only three cities reach 10 000 inhabitants. It indicates the characteristic of the département, which is predominantly rural.
Nièvre is also well known for its white wine, Pouilly Fumé. The vineyards are scattered around villages including Pouilly-Sur-Loire, which lends its name to the appellation, Tracy sur Loire, Boisgibault, Saint Andelain. The word fumé is French for "smoky", and it's said the name comes from the smoky or flinty quality of these wines. The only grape allowed in the Pouilly-Fumé AC is Sauvignon blanc, which produces wines that are generally crisp, tart, and somewhat grassy.
In common with most French wine producing departments Nièvre is traditionally a left wing department. The results of the second round of voting in presidential elections spell this out consistently.
- In the 2007 presidential election, Ségolène Royal received 52.91% of the department's votes, as against a national per centage of just 46.94%.
- In the 1995 presidential election, Lionel Jospin received 57.07% of the department's votes, as against a national per centage of just 47.36%.
- In the 1981 presidential election, François Mitterrand received 62.91% of the department's votes, as against a national per centage of 51.76%.
- Cantons of the Nièvre department
- Communes of the Nièvre department
- Arrondissements of the Nièvre department
- Parc naturel régional du Morvan
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2009)|
- (French) Prefecture website
- (French) General council website
- (English) Nievre on the Open Directory Project
- Official website of the Departmental Touristic Agency of Nièvre in Burgundy