Philippsburg is a town in Germany, in the district of Karlsruhe in Baden-Württemberg.
Before 1632, Philippsburg was known as "Udenheim".
The city was a possession of the Bishop of Speyer from 1371–1718. The town is named after Philipp Christoph von Sötern, who was bishop from 1610–1652.
Historically, possession of the town was disputed between Germany and France. Formerly, there was a fortress located at the town, whose location was mentioned by Carl von Clausewitz. In Book VI of On War, he suggested that "If a fortress cannot be located directly on a river, it is better not to place it in the immediate vicinity, but some fifty to sixty miles away; otherwise the river will cut through and interfere with its sphere of influence with respect to all the points mentioned above." He then mentions in a footnote "Philippsburg was a perfect example of how not to site a fortress. Its location was that of an idiot standing with his nose against the wall.".2 The fortress was besieged in 1688 and 1734.
The town is the site of the Philippsburg Nuclear Power Plant and a Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company plant.