|Municipality||Plungė district municipality|
|Eldership||Plungė town eldership|
|Capital of||Plungė district municipality
Plungė town eldership
Plungė rural eldership
|Granted city rights||1792|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Before World War II, Plunge had a large Jewish population.
It is thought that the territory in which Plungė is situated was inhabited in 5th–1st centuries BC. After the Treaty of Melno country seats were started establishing in the forests of Samogitia. From the 14th century to the middle of the 16th century, Plungė was a part of Gandinga volost as an ordinary settlement. Later, the population of Plungė started to grow faster and surpassed the population of Gandinga. In 1567 Plungė was mentioned as a town.
During the interwar period there was established gymnasium in 1925 and built railway branch-line in 1932. In 1933 current Catholic Church was consecrated. Since the private hospital was founded in 1939, maternity, surgical sections started their activities. Jewish community composed about 44% of inhabitants whereas about 55% of inhabitants were Lithuanians. According to that Jewish were active participants governing the city. However in events of 1941 almost all Jewish community was destroyed by Nazis.
During the years of the independence of Lithuania Plungė's economic was based on the factory of fibre flax and cotton Kučiskis – Pabedinskiai and also on the activities of Jewish businessmen and agricultural products made by Samogitian farmers.
After the World War II and soviet occupation, Plungė started to grow rapidly – if the city had 7,400 inhabitants in 1950, in 1990 it had already had 23,300 inhabitants. During the years of soviet occupation, Lithuanians became the majority of city's inhabitants. According to Government's Resolution of 1963, Plungė should have become regional centre with a strong industry. However these plans were ruined when it became obvious that the city doesn't have enough water resources although some high level companies representing various branches of industry were established in Plungė. Most of these companies however bankrupted after the Independence of Lithuania was announced.1
The coat of arms of Plungė was affirmed by the decree of the President on June 6, 1997.2 In 2009 Plungė was elected Lithuanian Capital of Culture.3 Nowadays Plungė is the sixteenth largest city of Lithuania having 22,287 inhabitants.
Origin of the name Plungė is not clear enough. The most persuasive theory is that the name of the city is issued from the name of river Paplunga which flowed through the city.4
Important highways are built near the city:
Football club "FK Babrungas Plungė" plays in Lithuanian Football Federation's 2 League's Western Zone. Team plays in the Central Stadium of Plungė.
Basketball club "Olimpas Plungė" plays in National Basketball League. The team was established in 1989. In 1997 Olimpas Plungė played in the final of Lithuanian Basketball League where lost to BC Žalgiris Kaunas. However team didn't appear in national competitions until 2011. Olimpas Plungė started to play in Regional Basketball League and won gold medals in 2012 and qualified to National Basketball League. In 2012-2013 National Basketball League's regular season team finished 3rd amongst 18 teams, however it lost the Quarter-finals series 2-0 to BC Žalgiris Kaunas 2.5 Team plays in ""SS Žemaitijos Suvenyras" arena which capacity is 200.
Plungė is twinned with:
- Famous Lithuanian composer and artist M. K. Čiurlionis (1875–1911) had lived here at the end of the 19th century
- Bronislovas Lubys (1938–2011), entrepreneur, former Prime Minister of Lithuania, signatory of the Act of the Re-Establishment of the State of Lithuania, and businessman.
- Česlovas Gabalis
- Miss Lithuania 2007 Jurgita Jurkutė (Plungė, 1985) was born here
- Lazarus Goldschmidt (Plungė, 1871–1950), translator of the Talmud.
- Historian Zenonas Ivinskis (Plungė, 1908–1971) was born here
- Actor Karolis Dapkus was born here
- Musician Petras Vyšniauskas was born here
- Gediminas Jaunius (Plungė, 1978), TV shows announcer and politician, was born here
- Wanda Rutkiewicz (1943–1992), one of the most famous world alpinists, the first female alpinist who had climbed to K2.
- Pranciškus Erelis (1919–2008), physician rheumatologist, habilitated doctor of biomedicine, professor of Vilnius university, writer. 1945 finished gymnasium here.
- Dora Love (née Rabinowitz) (1923–2011), teacher, linguist and holocaust survivor was born here.
- Chaim Yitzchak Hacohen Bloch was born here and later served as Rosh Yeshivah.6
- Toldot Anshei Shem. p. 9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Plungė.|