Queen's Theological College

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
School of Religion
Queenstheologicalhall.jpg
Theological Hall, home of the School of Religion
Motto Sapientia et Doctrina Stabilitas
Motto in English Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times1
Former names Queen's Theological College
Established October 16, 1841 (1841-10-16)2
Type Seminary
Academic affiliation Queen's University
Location Kingston, Ontario, Canada
44°13′30″N 76°29′42″W / 44.224997°N 76.495099°W / 44.224997; -76.495099Coordinates: 44°13′30″N 76°29′42″W / 44.224997°N 76.495099°W / 44.224997; -76.495099
Director Richard S. Ascough
Academic staff 14
Admin. staff 5
Website www.queensu.ca/religion

Queen's School of Religion, formerly Queen's Theological College, is affiliated with Queen's University. Graduates receive their degrees from Queen's University. Queen's School of Religion is also accredited by ATS.

Mission

Queen's School of Religion administers the Department of Religious Studies on behalf of Queen's University, and is responsible for training people in the academic study of religion, and educating theological students for academic training and ordained ministry in the Christian faith tradition.

History

Queen's College was founded in 1841 when the Presbyterian Church in Canada obtained a Royal Charter from Queen Victoria. When Queen's College opened its doors in 1842, there were 11 male students. In 1911, the Faculty of Theology was separated from Queen's College when the latter became the newly named secular institution Queen's University in order to qualify for government education funding. Queen's Theological College was created by an Act of Parliament on April 1, 1912, as a training institution of the Presbyterian Church of Canada. Queen's Theological College entered the newly formed United Church of Canada upon Union of the Presbyterian, Congregational, and Methodist Churches in Canada in 1925. Queen's Theological College became Queen's School of Religion January 1, 2010, housing both the Department of Religious Studies, and theological programs under one organisation.

Originally the Faculty of Theology, it traces its origin to 1841 when the Presbyterian Church in Canada obtained a Royal Charter to establish Queen's. In 1911, the Faculty of Theology decided to separate from the rapidly growing university (Queen's became secular in 1912). On April 1, 1912, Queen's Theological College was created by an Act of Parliament with its own Board of Management.

In 1925, Queen's Theological College became one of the institutions for theological training for the newly formed United Church of Canada. As Queen's School of Religion, it remains one of six schools in The United Church of Canada with primary responsibility for educating persons for ordained ministry, and is fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada.3

Features and Facilities

Although officially a separate institution, Queen's School of Religion is the only affiliated college of Queen's University at Kingston, and is located in one of the oldest and historic university buildings, Theological Hall, in the heart of the Queen's campus.

Theological Hall itself was built in 1879, and designed by Gordon & Helliwell. Funded completely by donations from the citizens of Kingston, the cornerstone of Theological Hall was laid in 1879 by the Marquis of Lorne, Governor-General of Canada, and his wife, Princess Louise, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria, and the building was completed in October 1880. The third-oldest building on the Queen's University campus, the massive limestone structure was built in Norman Romanesque style, featuring its trademark double-oak front doorway and central tower flying the Canadian flag. Originally built to house the Faculty of Arts and Science (and to this day is often referred to as the Old Arts and Science Building), Theological Hall was the university's main building throughout the late 19th century. The building features an ornate mediaeval-style Convocation Hall that served the university for convocation ceremonies until Grant Hall was built (between 1902–05), and at one time a circular library at the west end of the building. Morgan Memorial Chapel, with its old-world vaulted ceilings and ecclesiastical stained-glass windows depicting scenes from the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament, was named in honour of the late professor of Theology, William Morgan, and serves the entire university community.

The interior of Convocation Hall is a mix of Romanesque and Gothic with an open, cathedral-like space featuring king-post hammer beam truss enlivened with embellished pendants and articulated bossed junctions, and a combination of red brick and buff brick incorporated into a decorative pattern. The side walls feature a series of round arched windows and the centre of the north wall features a rose window set in a Romanesque niche, which unfortunately was concealed from the interior by renovations carried out in the mid-1960s.

Classroom and office space in Theological Hall was provided for the newly created Queen's Theological College under the provisions of an Act of Parliament respecting Queen's College at Kingston passed on April 1, 1912. From 1912-1925, Queen's Theological College prepared students for ordered ministry in the Presbyterian Church of Canada, but the College was transformed from a Presbyterian institution into a United Church of Canada theological institution serving Canada's new national church created by the union of the Methodist, Congregational, and Presbyterian denominations in Canada in 1925.

Theological Hall underwent major internal renovations between 1966–67, which resulted in the creation of additional office space and the installation of an elevator, and today houses both Queen's School of Religion and Queen's University's Faculty of Arts and Science Department of Drama and the Department of Religious Studies.

Programs

Queen's School of Religion offers the following graduate programs: (Master's degree)

  • Master of Arts in Religion and Modernity (through the Department of Religious Studies)
  • Master of Divinity
  • Master of Divinity with a Concentration in Restorative Justice
  • Master of Theological Studies
  • Master of Theological Studies in Spiritual and Religious Care in a Pluralist Society
  • Certificate in Theological Studies
  • Certificate in Spiritual and Religious Care in a Pluralist Society

Queen's School of Religion offers the following undergraduate and non-degree programs (Bachelor's degrees and diploma programs):

  • Bachelor of Arts and Honours Bachelor of Arts with concentrations in Religious Stduies offered through the Department of Religious Studies
  • Bachelor of Theology
  • Diploma in Restorative Justice
  • Diploma in Transformational Leadership

Books

  • Hilda Neatby 'History of Queen's University' Vol I (McGill-Queen's University' Press © 1978)
  • Hilda Neatby 'History of Queen's University' Vol II(McGill-Queen's University' Press © 1983)
  • George Rawlyk, Kevin Quinn 'The Redeemed of the Lord Say So: A History of Queen's Theological College 1912-1972' (Queen's Theological College, 1980 ISBN 0-88911-016-6

Notes

References

External links








Creative Commons License