RCAF Station Mont Apica

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
RCAF Station Mont Apica
Coordinates 47°58′41″N 071°25′51″W / 47.97806°N 71.43083°W / 47.97806; -71.43083 (CFS Mont Apica C-1)
Type Radar Station
Code C-1
Site information
Controlled by  Royal Canadian Air Force
Site history
Built 15 July 1952
In use 1952-1990
Built by  Royal Canadian Air Force
RCAF Station Mont Apica is located in Quebec
RCAF Station Mont Apica
RCAF Station Mont Apica
Location of RCAF Station Mont Apica, Quebec
Radar station on top of Mont Apica

RCAF Mont Apica (later Canadian Forces Station or CFS Mont Apica) (ADC ID: C-1) was a radar station of the Pinetree Line, located in Mont-Apica, Quebec, Canada, during the Cold War. The station opened in 1952 and had a staff of some 500 persons at its peak.

Political and technological changes made the station redundant and it closed in 1990.1 The radar squadron that was there (No. 12 Radar Squadron) was transferred to CFB Bagotville.

2452 AC&W squadron, an auxiliary (reserve) unit from Quebec City trained at Mont Apica until its closure (of 2452 AC&W squadron) in 1960.

There was also a weather radar used by the military and later by the Meteorological Service of Canada. After the closing of the station, it was transferred to the Lac Castor site of the Canadian weather radar network.

References

  1. ^ "Mont-Apica (Lieu-dit)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2010-10-28. 

External links









Creative Commons License