Swami Vivekananda Airport
|Swami Vivekananda Airport, Raipur
|IATA: RPR – ICAO: VARP
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Raipur, Naya Raipur|
|Location||Mana near Naya Raipur|
|Elevation AMSL||1,041 ft / 317 m|
Swami Vivekananda Airport (IATA: RPR, ICAO: VARP) formerly known as Mana Airport is located 15 km (9.3 mi) south of Raipur, in the state of Chhattisgarh, India. In 2006, this Airport witnessed an 82% increase in passenger traffic (the highest in the country for that year). The Airport is one of the 35 non-metro airports presently being modernised by the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
On 24 January 2012, The Union cabinet of India approved the State government's proposal for renaming Raipur airport after India's well known saint Swami Vivekananda who spent 2 years of his teenage in Raipur.1 It is currently served by Air India, Jet Airways, Jetlite and IndiGo while Kingfisher Airlines suspended its operations in Nov 2011 due to its bad financial condition. There are also non-scheduled services by Air Odisha 2 to Bhubaneswar and Air Taxi services by Chhattisgarh Air Link which flies from here to other cities of Chhattisgarh.3
A new integrated terminal covering an area of 10,500 m2 (2.6 acres) has been constructed by a joint venture of Era Infra Engineering and KMB from Ukraine at a cost of 136 crore (US$23 million).4 It was inaugurated on 7 November 2012 by President Pranab Mukherjee.56 The new terminal has 2 aero-bridges, 20 check-in counters, 2 x-ray luggage machines, 3 security check points and 3 conveyor belts for luggage.78 The terminal also has a provision on 15 immigration counters for prospective international flights.citation needed
|Air India||Delhi, Mumbai,Vishakapatnam|
|IndiGo||Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore, Kolkata, Mumbai|
|Jet Airways||Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhopal,Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore,Kolkata, Mangalore, Mumbai,Pune|
|Chhattisgarh Air Link||Ambikapur,Bilaspur,Jagdalpur,Jashpur,Korba,Raigarh.10|
|Air Odisha||Bhubaneswar 11|
- "Welcome to Swami Vivekananda airport!". Daily Bhaskar.com. 25 January 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Era Infra to revamp Raipur Airport". Business Standard. 10 September 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Mana airport’s swanky avatar to be ready by year end". Daily Bhaskar.com. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Raipur airport to be upgradeed with Rs.1.36 bn investment". TwoCircles.net. 20 February 2009. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- AAI website, retrieved 25 January 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Swami Vivekananda Airport|
- Raipur Airport at AAI
- Airport information for VARP at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.