Ralph Assheton, 1st Baron Clitheroe
He was Member of Parliament (MP) for Rushcliffe from 1934 to 1945, for the City of London from 1945 to 1950, and for Blackburn West from 1950 to 1955. In the wartime government under Winston Churchill, he was Minister of Supply in 1942, and Financial Secretary to the Treasury from 1942 to 1944. He became a Privy Counsellor in 1944, and served as Chairman of the Conservative Party from 1944 to 1946.
After retiring from the House of Commons at the 1955 general election, he was elevated to the peerage as Baron Clitheroe on 20 June 1955. He later served as Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire, from 1971 to 1976.
- Anne Assheton (1924-1924).1
- Hon. Bridget Assheton (1926-2004; married Marcus Worsley, brother of Katharine, Duchess of Kent. ).1
- Ralph John Assheton, 2nd Baron Clitheroe (born 1929).1
- Hon. Nicholas Assheton (born 1934; Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother).13
He died in 1984.1
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Ralph Assheton