28 March 1961 |
University of Oxford
|Alma mater||University of Glasgow
Balliol College, Oxford
|Known for||The Grid|
Richard Susskind OBE (born 28 March 1961) is a British author, speaker, and independent adviser to international professional firms and national governments. He is the IT Adviser to the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, holds professorships at the University of Oxford,1 Gresham College2 and Strathclyde University,3 and is a past Chair of the Advisory Panel on Public Sector Information and of the Society for Computers and Law. He has specialised in legal technology since the early 1980s and is a regular columnist at The Times newspaper.4 He is well known throughout the legal world for his concept of 'The Grid'; which is a model that can be used to foresee the future of the legal profession.citation needed Susskind claims there will be a plethora of new ways to outsource, insource, offshore and 'inhouse' legal work. Law firms as we know them now will morph into different specialist entities, Susskind predicts.
1970–1978 — Hutchesons' Grammar School, Glasgow
1978–1982 — University of Glasgow — LLB (First Class Honours)
1982–1983 — University of Glasgow — Diploma in Legal Practice
1983–1986 — Balliol College, Oxford — DPhil (in computers and law; Faculty of Law; Snell Exhibitioner)
1984–1986 — Tutor in Jurisprudence, University of Oxford (Keble and Magdalen College)
1986–1989 — Head of Expert Systems, Ernst & Young, UK
1989–1994 — Special Adviser on Law and IT, Masons Solicitors
1990–1992 — Chair, Society for Computers and Law
1994–1997 — Member of Management Board, Masons Solicitors
1995–1996 — IT Consultant to Lord Woolf's Access to Justice Inquiry
1997–1998 — Member, Court of Appeal (Civil Division) Review
1999–2001 — Member, Modernising Government Project Board (Cabinet Office)
2000–2001 — Expert Consultee, Tribunals Review (by Sir Andrew Leggatt)
2000–2001 — Expert Consultee, Criminal Courts Review (by Lord Justice Auld)
2002–2010 — Member, Judicial Technology Board
2003–2008 — Chair, Advisory Panel on Public Sector Information
2006–2009 — Member, Supreme Court IT User Group
Since 1998 — IT Adviser to the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales
Since 2001 — Professor, Law School, University of Strathclyde
Since 2004 — Honorary Professor and Emeritus Law Professor, Gresham College
Since 2005 — Co-chair (with Lord Neuberger), ITAC (Lord Chancellor’s Information Technology and Courts Committee)
Since 2009 — Visiting Professor in Internet Studies, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford
Since 1997 — IT Adviser, Jersey Legal Information Board
Since 1997 — Governor, The Haberdashers’ Aske’s Schools, Elstree
Since 2002 — Founding Member, Advisory Board of Oxford Internet Institute
Since 2004 — Trustee and Chair of Academic Affairs, The Lokahi Foundation
Since 2008 — Member, Advisory Board, Lyceum Capital
Since 2009 — Special Adviser, Canadian Bar Association
1992 — Honorary Member, Society for Computers and Law
2000 — OBE, for services to IT in the Law and to the Administration of Justice
2001 — Honorary Fellow of Law Faculty, Durham University
2005 — Honorary Professor, Gresham College, London
- Tomorrow's Lawyers: An Introduction to Your Future (Oxford University Press, paperback 2013)
- The End of Lawyers? (Oxford University Press, 2008; revised paperback, 2010)5
- The Susskind Interviews (Thomson, 2004) (editor)6
- Essays in Honour of Sir Brian Neill (Butterworths, 2003) (co-edited with Lord Saville)
- Transforming the Law (Oxford University Press, 2000; revised paperback, 2003)7
- The Future of Law (Oxford University Press, 1996; revised paperback, 1998)8
- Essays on Law and Artificial Intelligence (Tano, 1993)
- Latent Damage Law - The Expert System (Butterworths, 1988) (with P.N. Capper)
- Expert Systems in Law (Oxford University Press, 1987; paperback, 1989)
- "Oxford Internet Institute - People - Professor Richard Susskind OBE". Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Richard Susskind". Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Susskind Richard Prof - University of Strathclyde". Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/system/topicRoot/The_End_of_Lawyers/dead link
- "The End of Lawyers? The End of Law Schools? | Berkman Center". Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "The Susskind Interviews: Legal Experts in Changing Times: Amazon.co.uk: Richard E. Susskind: Books". Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- "Transforming the Law: Richard Susskind - Oxford University Press". Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- "The Future of Law: Richard Susskind - Oxford University Press:". Retrieved 15 June 2012.