Roosevelt Campobello International Park
|Roosevelt Campobello International Park|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
The cottage at Campobello
|Location||Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Nearest city||Saint John, New Brunswick|
|Area||11.01 km2 (2,720 acres)|
|Established||July 7, 1964|
|Governing body||Roosevelt Campobello International Park Commission|
Roosevelt Campobello International Park preserves the house and surrounding landscape of the Roosevelt family summer retreat. It was here in August 1921, future president Franklin D. Roosevelt was stricken with poliomyelitis at the age of 39. Franklin rarely returned but Eleanor Roosevelt loved the cool summer weather and visited many times with her small children and later she came alone in the summer. After her death the family deeded the property to the governments of the U.S. and Canada and in 1964 they created the 2,800 acre International Park.1 The park occupies most of the southern end of Campobello Island, New Brunswick, just offshore of Lubec, Maine. The cottage, built in the Shingle Style and completed in 1897, was designed by Willard T. Sears.
The park is owned and administered by the Roosevelt Campobello International Park Commission, created by international treaty signed by Governor General Georges Vanier, Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson, and President Lyndon B. Johnson on January 22, 1964. The park was established on July 7, 1964. Both countries provide financial support to the park. It is an affiliated area of Parks Canada and of the U.S. National Park Service.
- The National Parks: Index 2001-2003. Washington: U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Roosevelt Campobello International Park Commission
- National Park Service: Roosevelt Campobello International Park
- Transboundary Protected Areas for Peace and Co-operation