Main street in Rottweil
|• Lord Mayor||Ralf Broß|
|• Total||71.76 km2 (27.71 sq mi)|
|• Density||340/km2 (880/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Imperial City of Rottweil
|Free Imperial City of the Holy Roman Empire|
|Historical era||Middle Ages|
|-||Gained Imp. immediacy||1140|
|-||Treaty with Swiss||1463|
|Imperial Abbey of Rottenmünster
|Imperial Abbey of the Holy Roman Empire|
|Historical era||Middle Ages|
|-||Founded||9 May 1224|
|-||Gained Imp. immediacy||1237|
|-||Razed by Württemberg
in Thirty Years' War
23 November 1802
Located between the Black Forest and the Swabian Alps, Rottweil has about 25,000 inhabitants. The old city is famous for its medieval center and for its traditional carnival, (called "Fasnet" in the local Swabian dialect). The oldest town in Baden-Württemberg,citation needed its appearance has changed very little from the 16th century.
Rottweil was founded by the Romans in AD 73 as Arae Flaviae and became a municipium, but there are traces of human settlement going back to 2000 BC. Roman baths and a mosaic of Orpheus (c. AD 180) date from the time of Roman settlement. The present town became a ducal and a royal court before 771 and in the Middle Ages it became a Free Imperial City in 1268.
In 1463 the city joined the Swiss Confederacy, with which it was closely aligned for several centuries. Both its status as free city and its alliance with the Swiss Confederacy were eventually lost with the conquest of the region by Napoleon in 1803.
- The late-Romanesque and Gothic-era Münster Heiliges Kreuz ("Minster of the Holy Cross"), built over a pre-existing church from 1270. It features a crucifix by Veit Stoss and noteworthy Gothic sculptures.
- Kapellenkirche (1330–40), a Gothic church with a tower and with three statue-decorated portals.
- Lorenzkapelle ("Church of St. Lawrence", 16th century), in late Gothic style. It houses some two hundred works by Swabian masters and Gothic altarpieces from the 14–5th centuries.
- The City museum, including a notable roman mosaic with the legend of Orpheus.
- The late-Gothic Town Hall (1521).
- St. Pelagius, a Romanesque church from the 12th century. Excavations have brought to light Roman baths in the same site.
- The Rottweiler dog is named after this town; it used to be a butcher's dog in the region.
- Adam of Rottweil, the 15th-century scholar and printer, was born in Rottweil.
- Konrad Witz, painter
- Das Mädchen aus Rottweil is a song by the German band Die Toten Hosen
Rottweil is twinned with:
A statue for rottweiler dogs in Rottweil
- Statistisches Bundesamt – Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012 (XLS-Datei; 4,0 MB) (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011) "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012"]. Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 12 November 2013.
- The official website
- Feast of Fools: Medieval Carnival Celebrations in Rottweil
- Website for hotels and restaurants in Rottweil
- History and territory of the former Reichsstadt Rottweil
- Pictures and stories about Rottweil