San Carlos, Pangasinan
Lungsod ng San Carlos
Ciudad ya San Carlos
|— Component city —|
|Region||Ilocos Region (Region I)|
|District||3rd District, Pangasinan|
|Cityhood||January 1, 1966|
|• Mayor||Julier C. Resuello|
|• Total||169.03 km2 (65.26 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,000/km2 ( 2,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|Income class||3rd class|
San Carlos City is a third class city in the Province of Pangasinan, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 175,103 people, making it the most populated city in Pangasinan.3 Situated in the central plains of Pangasinan, its nearby neighbors are Lingayen, Calasiao, Sta. Barbara, Malasiqui, Mangatarem, Urbiztondo and Aguilar with bordering Bugallon and Basista.4 lt has a land area of 225 square kilometers.
The place now called San Carlos City was already a flourishing community since pre-colonial times. It was previously called Binalatongan but was hence renamed by the Spaniards as San Carlos (in honor of their king, Charles) to erase the memory of the Palaris revolt. Binalatongan was the capital of Luyag na Caboloan, an ancient kingdom (now comprised by the provinces of Tarlac, Zambales, Nueva Ecija, La Union, Pangasinan, and Benguet) ruled by King Ari Kasikis. The name of Binalatongan was derived from the abundance of mongo (mung bean) plants along the San Juan riverbanks.
Caboloan is the name of the primitive Pangasinense dialect, of which its purest form was spoken by the natives of Binalatongan.
In 1718, Binalatongan was renamed (the Municipality [town] of) San Carlos. During the 1960s, the Municipality of San Carlos diversified into two precincts. In 1965, the smaller precinct became legally incorporated as the Municipality of Basista by virtue of RA 4866. In 1966, the larger precinct became legally incorporated as San Carlos City by virtue of Republic Act No. 4487.
San Carlos is the hometown of Speaker Eugenio Perez of which the town plaza and amphitheater and his street of residence were named after him.
Fr. Francisco dela Rama, an Augustinian friar founded the City in 1587, whose native practiced "animism." Spanish era accounts of a huge bell heard in the entire Kasikis Kingdom which got lost and believed to be guarded by mermaids. Virgen Milagrosa Educational Institution of San Carlos leaders, Dr. & Dr. Martin P. Posadas did search for the missing bell have launched a search of that missing bell in line with their giant project of resurrecting the ancient town whose land are included portions of Central and Northern Luzon.
The Carlenians were of Malayan origin, speaking Cabuloan, the original Pangasinan dialect. They ousted the Augustinian friars but the Dominicans defeated the native. Historical luminaries Andres Malong and Juan dela Cruz Palaris led revolts against Spain (the first Pangasinan Revolt, 1660, transferring the poblacion east of San Juan river on November 4, 1718, feast of St. Charles Borromeo, renamed San Carlos Binalatongan.
Juan dela Cruz Palaris (Pantaleon Perez, dubbed "Palaripar" or "Palasipas" was expert in the "eskrima de mano") fought against the Spanish authorities in 1762-64. He led a revolt which lasted for two years and spread practically throughout the whole province of Pangasinan. He established an independent government with its seat in Binalatongan comprising the towns of Basista, Urbiztondo, Mangatarem, Aguilar, the foothills of the Zambales Mountains, and the present city of San Carlos. Juan Caragay between 1718 and 1719 led the 3rd Revolt.
The Binalatongan Story book of Jose Muñoz, accounts the Jefe Local posts (written by the historian, Don Alejandro Pou).
- Don Antonio Agbuya, 1898 Jefe Local appointed by General Francisco Makabulos, Commander-in-Chief of the rebel forces of Pangasinan.
- Don Juan Rosario Jefe Local appointed by General Aguinaldo in 1899-1900, succeeding Don Antonio Agbuya. He continued cleaning the town of Katipungols, who styled themselves as pseudo-Katipuneros, but were actually bandits.
- Don Domingo Claudio, Jefe Local appointed by the American Civil Commission in 1901-1902.
- Don Macario Posadas,1902-1903 was elected first Municipal President in a viva voce election held in Dagupan.
- Don Pascual Bandong; Elected in 1902-1903 as the first Presidente Municipal by popular vote when the first election was held.
- Don Florentino Verzosa, Elected in 1906-1907.
- Don Aquilino Banaag Elected in 1907-1909.
- Don Francisco Muñoz Elected in 1912, and held the position up to 1917.
- Don Marcelo Soriano Elected in 1917, and held the position which was cut short due to a new assignment.
- Don Gregorio Lim Elected in 1917, and served up to 1919. His being a hunchback bokot was considered his good luck charm by himself and by his constituents.
- Don Tomas Bulatao Elected in 1919 to 1922. One of his sons, Fr. Jaime Bulatao, is a Jesuit priest and a noted psychologist.
- Don Emilio Padlan Elected in 1922, and served up to 1934 for the longest term. The term Presidente Municipal was changed to Municipal Mayor during his incumbency.
- Don Felipe Villanueva Elected in 1934 upon the expiration of the term of Mayor Padlan, who was prohibited from re-election after three consecutive terms.
- Don Emilio Padlan Made a dramatic comeback and was again elected in 1937. He held the position up to 1941 at the outbreak of the Second Global War.
- Don Gregorio Lim Occupied the Mayoralty which he held up to his death in 1942.
- Don Domingo Acosta Served as Mayor for a few months in 1942.
- Dr. Francisco Untalan Appointed Mayor in 1943 when the situation was a bit settled, and he held the position against all possible odds up to 1945 when the Americans liberated San Carlos.
- Don Luis Cayabyab Appointed Liberation Mayor in 1945.
- Don Emilio Padlan Staged another comeback and was elected in 1945. He served the longest term as Municipal Mayor until his retirement
- Don Luis Caybyab Made a dramatic entrance into the political arena in 1947.
- Don Agripino Padua Elected in 1956 upon the expiration of the term of Mayor Cayabyab.
- Don Juan Lomibao Elected in 1959, and held the position up to 1961.
- Don Luis Cayabyab Elected again in 1961, and served up to 1972 when Martial Law was proclaimed.
- Don Douglas Soriano Then Vice-Mayor, was appointed by Malacañang in June 1972. He held the position up to December 1972. He was the youngest Mayor who held such position.
- Don Luis Cayabyab Resumed the Mayoralty in January 1973, but retired due to failing health condition.
- Don Jack Soriano Appointed by Malacañang to take over in 1973. He was then a Judge of the Court of First Instance of Ilocos and later in Bulacan.
- Benjamin Reyes First appointed Officer-in-Charge, and later assumed the post in June 1986.
- Leopoldo Tulagan Assumed office on October 3, 1986.
- Eugenio Ramos Appointed on November 16, 1986 but Tulagan would not give way to Ramos, thus, stayed put at his post come what may. This was the first time in the history of San Carlos when there were two Mayors. Finally, the controversy was resolved on October 20, 1987 when Tulagan left his post. Ramos held the position up to January 18, 1988.
- Douglas Soriano Appointed acting Mayor, having been the incumbent Vice-Mayor from June 1972 to December 1972. His term as Mayor lasted until 1998.
- Julian Resuello Elected in May 1998, and re-elected in May 2004.
- Julier Resuello Elected Mayor in May 2007, and re-elected in May 2010 to the present. (Source: The Binalatongan Story book of Jose Muñoz, accounts the Jefe Local posts (written by the historian, Don Alejandro Pou).5
San Carlos City is politically subdivided into 86 barangays.
- Balite Sur
- Bugallon-Posadas Street (Pob.)
- Bonifacio (Pob.)
- Burgos-Padlan (Pob.)
- Lucban (Pob.)
- Mabini (Pob.)
- Mestizo Norte
- Padilla-Gomez (Pob.)
- Palaris (Pob.)
- Perez Boulevard (Pob.)
- PNR Site (Pob.)
- Quezon Boulevard (Pob.)
- Rizal Avenue (Pob.)
- Roxas Boulevard (Pob.)
- San Juan
- San Pedro (Pob.)
- Taloy (Pob.)
- M. Soriano St. (Pob.)
- Tandang Sora (Pob.)
Case Unclosed: Murder Informations were filed against Angelito Soriano, Cesar de Guzman (alias Kabesa) and 2 John Does on May 2, 2007 in the April 28, 2007, 10:15 p.m. assasination of San Carlos City Mayor Julian Resuello and his civilian aide inside the city plaza as he was shaking hands with the audience at the city plaza during the coronation night for the city fiesta queen during a fiesta ball.
City mayor Douglas Soriano was linked to the killing. Other wounded persons, aside from SPO1 Jaime Almonite and Resuello, are Jonathan dela Cruz, 34, civilian aide; Alwin Fermin, 29, bystander; Paolo Bino, 14, bystander; and Reyna Munoz, 9, bystander. Jojo Martinez, 41, died.6 Vice Mayor Julier Resuello assumed office. But the RTC dismissed the cases on January, 2012 for insufficiency of evidence.7
The incumbent Mayor Julier Resuello and his younger brother Vice Mayor Joseres Resuello who were both re-elected in 2010 are challenged by former mayor Douglas Soriano and son, incumbent Councilor Lester Soriano in the 2013 elections.
The Binalatongan Community College was founded by the late Mayor Julian “Jolly” Resuello with the help of Engr. Marcelo Casillan.
|Population Census of San Carlos City|
San Carlos City is among the liveliest places in the Province of Pangasinan in terms of economic activity. Called the "Mango-Bamboo Capital of the Philippines", San Carlos has the largest number of fruiting mango trees - their fruits are among the most delicious in the country - and a flourishing bamboocraft industry. An agro-industrial city, San Carlos also engages in livestock raising, crop production, inland fishing, pottery, food processing, tourism, and commerce. San Carlos is said to have an ideal investment potential because of its large land area, big population and strategic location, being in the center of Pangasinan.
Roman Catholicism remains the faith of majority of San Carleñians, although there are other denominations that co-exist peacefully in the city. Discrimination of religion is discouraged, though religious practices that seem bizarre and unacceptable by society is widely looked down upon.
- Victory "Honor God. Make Disciples"- 2nd Floor Asian Consumers Bank, Rizal Avenue, San Carlos City
- Saint Dominic de Guzman Parish Church
- Saint Joseph, Husband of Mary Parish - Brgy. MALACAÑANG
- Clark Bible College - PNR Site
- Capilla de Nuestra Señora de Soledad
- Our Lady Queen of the Holy Family Parish Church
- Church of God International (Ang Dating Daan)
- United Methodist Church
- San Carlos Baptist Church
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Gospel of Christ Fellowship, Incorporated - Tarece, San Carlos City
- Faith Assembly of God
- Jesus Apostolic Revival Church - Pentecostal Assemblies of the World (N.P.D.C.) - Matagdem, San Carlos
- Jesus Apostolic Revival Church - Pentecostal Assemblies of the World -(N.P.D.C.) Asin, Malasiqui
- United Covenant Reformed Church in the Philippines. - Baldog, San Carlos City
- Dominican Convent of the Anunciata, Talang, San Carlos City
- Love of God Christian Church - Caoayan Kiling, San Carlos City
- Pentecostal Church of God Asian Mission, Inc. - Pagal, San Carlos City
- Pentecostal Church of God Asian Mission, Inc. - Calomboyan, San Carlos City
- Ang Iglesia Metodista sa Pilipinas. -Caingal, San Carlos City
The patron saint of the city is Saint Dominic de Guzman, founder of the Order of Preachers; he is credited for performing miracles in the city, among them the minimal damage to the city caused by the return of the Americans to the islands and aided by Filipino troops and local guerrillas during the close of World War II. The parish church built in his honor was once the biggest in Luzon. The parish of San Carlos is the oldest in Pangasinan.
The Saint Dominic de Guzman Parish Church (F-1587) is part of the Vicariate of St. Dominic, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan, Malong Street, San Carlos, 2420 Pangasinan, with Catholic population of 114,392. The Patron Feast of St. Dominic Parish is August 8. The Team of Ministers are Rev. Msgr. Alberto T. Arenos, Rev. Fr. Alberto Taminaya, Fr. Reynaldo V. Romero, Rev. Fr. Winston A. Estrada, Rev. Fr. Winston A. Estrada and Rev. Fr. Jimmy F. Quinto, Jr.1011 Dominican missionaries who succeeded the oursted Augustinians, continued the evangelization of the natives, the founding of town and St. Dominic Church.
San Carlos, as Binalatogan became a vicariate in 1588 when its first pastor, Padre Bernardo Navarro de Santa Catalina, O.P. was appointed.
In 1588, Fr. Bernardo de Santa Catalina, OP, became the first Vicar (with Fr. Juan de Castro, OP, Fr. Marcos de San Antonio, and Bro. Juan Deza, OP, as his assistants) of Binalatongan, a vicariate of the Dominican Order in its First Provincial Chapter.
On August 4, 1718, Juan Caragay burned the modest church and convent. "Abagbagan" near the San Juan river became the new site of the Church. In 1763, however, Juan Palaris of Binalatongan destroyed the convent and the church of St. Dominic. The King of Spain, Charles III issued a Decree transfering the site to "Lucban."
Poblacion, the town's "cabecera," became close to the Church (which has small chapels, the "visitas" or missions attached therewith. Binalatongan or San Carlos became the "Mother-house of the Province," of Pangasinan.12
In 1770-1773, Padre Cristobal Ausina constructed the Church from ladrillo es:Ladrillo (massive brick, tiles of "apalit"). The present site is where Binalatogan was transferred (1754). The biggest Church in the Philippines those days, the 1789, 1796 and 1799 massive earthquakes destoryed the Church. Padre Alvarez Carrozal erected the Belfry and initiated the Church rehabilitation (1878–90). Rebuilt in 1803, it measured 89 yards long and 22 yards wide (August 8, 1989 NHI Marker, Archbishop Federico G. Limon and unveiled by Dona Conseelo S. Perez and Gov. Rafael M. Colet with Mayor Douglas D. Soriano).
St. Dominic Parish celebrated its 425th Jubilee of Father Celebration since the Dominican Missionaries arrived in Pangasinan on September 1587, and erected the Parish of St. Dominic Parish in San Carlos City (formerly Binalatongan, 425 years old - “Galang tan Dayew (ed Dios) ed Ando lan Ando” (Dn. 3:52), for the Golden (50th) Jubilee Celebration of Lingayen-Dagupan as an Archdiocese in 2013. The canonical Erection of the New Parish of St. Joseph husband of Mary and Foster Father of Jesus in Brgy. Malacañang, San Carlos City was held on 19 March 2012, with Socrates B. Villegas as main celebrant and blessed the St. Dominic Parish New Adoration Chapel.1314
San Carlos City has and maintains its own division of the same name. Established in 1967, the division has as its watchwords "Karunungan, Kalusugan, at Kagandahang-Asal" (Knowledge, Health, and Right Conduct). The San Carlos City Division Office, part of the Doña Eva Macapagal School Complex, is the biggest division office in Region I. The division engages in literacy improvement and is one of the region's top-performing divisions.
- Pangasinan State University-College of Agriculture
- Virgen Milagrosa University Foundation
- San Carlos College
- Saint Therese of the Child Jesus College Foundation
- STI College-San Carlos
- Central College of Pangasinan
- Binalatongan Community College
- San Carlos Christian Colleges of the Orient
- Palaris College
- Baylon Institute of Technology
- Clark Bible College - PNR Site
- Speaker Eugenio Perez National Agricultural School (SEPNAS)
- Mother Goose Special Science High School
- Saint Albert the Great Science Academy, Baldog,SCCP
- Abanon National High School
- Bacnar National High School
- Bolingit National High School
- Cobol National High School
- Coliling National High School
- Doyong National High School
- Gospel of Christ Montessori School
- Libas National High School
- Lilimasan National High School
- Mabalbalino National High School
- Malacanang National High School
- Pangalangan National High School
- Salinap National High School
- Tamayo National High School
- Tandoc National High School
- Turac National High School
- Ednas School of San Carlos - High School (ESSC)
- Saint Charles' Academy
- Virgen Milagrosa Special Science High School (VMSSHS)
- San Luis High School
- San Carlos Preparatory High School
- Saint Dominic High School
- Butterfly kingdom e-Learning School Inc.
- San Carlos College Elementary
- Saint Albert the Great Science Academy, Baldog,SCCP
- Saint Charles Academy
- San Carlos Central 1 Elementary School(North)
- San Carlos Central 2 Elementary School(South)
- Abanon Central Elementary School
- Agdao Elementary School
- Ano Elementary School
- Antipangol Elementary School
- Aponit Elementary School
- Bacnar Elementary School
- Balaya Elementary School
- Baldog Elementary School
- Balite Sur Elementary School
- Bani Elementary School
- Bogaoan Elementary School
- Bolingit Elementary School
- Bolosan-Caingal Elementary School
- Butterfly Kingdom e-Learning School, INC.
- C. P. Gutierrez Elementary School
- Calobaoan Elementary School
- Calomboyan Elementary School
- Candido Marcellano Elementary School
- Clark Educational Center _ PNR Site
- Caoayan Kiling Elementary School
- Cobol Elementary School
- Coliling Elementary School
- Doyong Elementary School
- Ednas School of San Carlos - Grade School (ESSC)
- Gospel of Christ Montessori School
- Libas Elementary School
- Magtaking Elementary School
- Mother Goose Special School System Inc.
- Pagal Elementary School
- Pangalangan Elementary School
- Pangpang elementary school
- Polo elementary school
- Payapa Elementary School
- Rainbow School of San Carlos City
- Talang Central Elementary School
- Tandoc Elementary School
- Tarece Elementary School
- Tebag Elementary School
- Virgen Milagrosa Child Learning Center(VMCLC)
- Our Lady of Grace School of San Carlos City, (Pangasinan), Inc.
- Payar Elementary School
- Isla Elementary School
- San Carlos Preparatory School
- Guelew Integrated School
- Julian valerio resuello elementary school
Farming, inland fishing, commerce and trade, small-scale manufacturing, handicraft, pottery, fruit-raising, flour-making, and mango production are the principal products of San Carlos.15
Interesting spots of the town are such as the 424-year old St. Dominic Church, the Speaker Eugenio Perez Memorial Park, the City Plaza, the Quadricentennial Arch in Bolingit; the Binalatongan Ruins in San Juan, the Philippine Fruit Corporation at Barangay Pagal and the Shopping Malls and Supermarkets and business establishments, with its "Las Bellas Carlenians."
On April 26, 2011, 86 barangays in San Carlos baked a 100-square-meter mango pie filling a gymnasium and set the Largest Mango Pie world record (400 sqm na mango pie, iniluto sa San Carlos City). Natives used 400 trays of mango pies (10 kilos each, P 400,000, in a 100-square-meter table and shared by more than 1,200). It highlights San Carlos City's Mango-Bamboo Festival 2011.16171819
You Can Ride Buses Either you are from Manila or You are going to Manila. These notable buses are Five Star Bus Company, Dagupan Bus Company, Fermina Express, De Leon Express, Santrans and many more. Jeepneys are also available for commuters to access to its neighboring towns, Like Calasiao and Malasiqui. Trycicles are also available for commuters to barrios and barangays.
Bust of Eugenio Pérez
- "Cities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Province: PANGASINAN". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: San Carlos, Pangasinan|
- Website of San Carlos
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- Saint Dominic Parish
||Lingayen||Binmaley, Calasiao||Santa Barbara|