Sandiacre shown within Derbyshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
The name Sandiacre is usually thought to refer to a sandy acre, though another interpretation, based on Saint Diacre, is sometimes advanced.1
Situated seven miles west of Nottingham and nine miles east of Derby, Sandiacre is part of the Greater Nottingham urban area, and is just on the western side of the River Erewash from Stapleford in Nottinghamshire. Sandiacre is neighboured by Long Eaton to the south and Risley to the west. Junction 25 of the M1 motorway lies in Sandiacre, where it crosses the A52 Brian Clough Way.
The Erewash Canal passes through the centre of Sandiacre, and the small basin immediately above Sandiacre Lock (No. 11 on the canal) was once the terminal link of the now-defunct Derby Canal. Situated next to the canal in the town centre is the Springfield Mill, built in 1888 as a lace mill and a reminder of Sandiacre's industrial heritage, now converted into a modern apartment complex. Examples of lace making, engineering and furniture making can still be found today.2 The discovery of local ironstone led to the development of Stanton Ironworks in 1787.3 The EWS Toton depot, which lies on the edge of Sandiacre, was a main employer in the town a number of years ago.
Although there is currently no railway station, the town was once home to a terminal on the Midland Railway,4 and passenger trains travelling on the St. Pancras - Manchester Piccadilly line still passed along the border with Stapleford during 2003-2004.
Transport links to Nottingham, Derby and the surrounding area are currently provided by Trent Barton.
The 1801 census recorded Sandiacre's population as 405. By 1901, this had risen to 2954, with the 1971 census reporting a population of 7792.5 The current population is now hovering at an estimated 9000.6
The schools in Sandiacre are Ladycross Infants School, Cloudside Junior School and Friesland Specialist Performing Arts College.
- Sir John de Benstede was Prebendary of Sandiacre from 3 February 1297 until, presumably, 1308, when he married.8
- John Barret, the Presbyterian minister, moved to Sandiacre in 1665 after losing the living of St Peter's Church, Nottingham in the Great Ejection.9
- Enoch Cook, the Derbyshire county cricketer, was born in Sandiacre in 1845.10
- Sławomir Rawicz, the Gulag escapee, was a resident of Sandiacre until his death in 2004, and is buried in the local cemetery.
- "William Camden | Nottinghamshire, Derby and Warwick". Vision of Britain.
- Sandiacredead link
- Stoney Clouds LNR Sandiacredead link
- The Andrews Pages : Sandiacre, Derbyshire : Kelly's Directory, 1891dead link
- "Sandiacre CP/AP Derbyshire through time | Local history overview for the Parish-level Unit". Visionofbritain.org.uk. 1 October 1921.
- Erewash tourism guidedead link
- "Cricinfo - A brief history". Content-www.cricinfo.com.
- "Prebendaries - Sandiacre | British History Online". British-history.ac.uk. 22 June 2003.
- ODNB entry: Retrieved 11 July 2011. Subscription required.
- Cricket Archive: Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Erewash Borough Council
- Sandiacre History & Heritage site
- A tour of Sandiacre's heritage
- Sandiacre Community Hub