Sankrail (community development block)
|Community development block|
|Assembly constituency||Sankrail, Howrah Dakshin|
|• Total||14.15 sq mi (36.64 km2)|
|• Density||20,560/sq mi (7,939/km2)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5.30)|
|Literacy Rate||75.78 per cent|
Sankrail (community development block) (Bengali: সাঁকরাইল সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক) is an administrative division in Howrah Sadar subdivision of Howrah district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Sankrail police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is at Andul Mouri. Argari, Dhuilya, Andul, Ramchandrapur, Podara, Panchpara, Hatgachha, Jhorhat, Banupur, Sankrail, Manikpur, Nalpur, Raghudebbati and Sarenga are urban areas in this block.12
Andul Mouri (post office) is located at
Gram panchayats of Sankrail block/panchayat samiti are: Andul, Banupur I, Banupur II, Dakshin Sankrail, Dhulagari, Duila, Jorhat, Kandua, Manikpur, Mashila, Nalpur, Panchpara, Raghudebbati, Sankrail, Sarenga and Thanamakua.3
As per 2001 census, Sankrail block had a total population of 290,877, out of which 152,985 were males and 137,892 were females. Sankrail block registered a population growth of 19.46 per cent during the 1991-2001 decade. Decadal growth for Howrah district was 12.76 per cent.2Decadal growth in West Bengal was 17.84 per cent.4 Scheduled castes at 81,840 formed around one-fourth the population. Scheduled tribes numbered 4,237.5
As per 2001 census, Sankrail block had a total literacy of 75.78 per cent for the 6+ age group. While male literacy was 81.38 per cent female literacy was 69.53 per cent. Howrah district had a total literacy of 77.01 per cent, male literacy being 83.22 per cent and female literacy being 70.11 per cent.6
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". Howrah district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 4, Howrah District (16)". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "Village Panchayat Names of Howrah,West Bengal". Government of West Bengal - Department of Panchayats & Rural Development. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal. Table 4". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "TRU for all Districts (SC & ST and Total)". Census 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 5, Howrah District". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-10-15.