SketchUp Make 2013 in OS X Mountain Lion.
|Original author(s)||@Last Software|
|Initial release||August 2000|
|Stable release||14.0.4900 (Win), 14.0.4899 (Mac) / February 28, 20142|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows (Windows 2000 and onwards)
OS X (10.7 and onwards)3
|Available in||English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional)|
|Type||3D computer graphics|
SketchUp is a 3D modeling program for applications such as architectural, interior design, civil and mechanical engineering, film, and video game design. A freeware version, SketchUp Make, and a paid version with additional functionality, SketchUp Pro, are available.
The program claims to be easy to use.6 There is an online Open source repository of free-of-charge model assemblies (e.g., windows, doors, automobiles, etc.), 3D Warehouse, to which users may contribute models. The program includes drawing layout functionality, allows surface rendering in variable "styles", supports third-party "plug-in" programs hosted on a site called Extension Warehouse to provide other capabilities (e.g., near photo-realistic rendering), and enables placement of its models within Google Earth.
SketchUp debuted in August 2000 as a general-purpose 3D content creation tool, and was envisioned as a software program "that would allow design professionals to draw the way they want by emulating the feel and freedom of working with pen and paper in a simple and elegant interface, that would be fun to use and easy to learn, and that would be used by designers to play with their designs in a way that is not possible with traditional design software. It also has user friendly buttons to make it easier to use."9
The program won a Community Choice Award at its first tradeshow in 2000.10
On January 9, 2007, SketchUp 6 was released, with new tools and a beta version of Google SketchUp LayOut. LayOut includes 2D vector tools and page layout tools allowing presentations to be produced without the need for a separate presentation program.
On November 17, 2008, SketchUp 7 was released, with changes intended to make it easier to use, integration of SketchUp's Component Browser with Google 3D Warehouse, LayOut 2, and dynamic components that respond to scaling. Windows 2000 was no longer supported.3
On June 1, 2012, Trimble acquired SketchUp from Google for a price less than $100m.12
On May 21, 2013, Trimble announced the release of SketchUp Pro 2013 — along with a new site, Extension Warehouse, hosting plugins and extensions for Sketchup.13
SketchUp Pro provides additional features for professional use and costs $590.00. Users purchase the program for $495.00 plus a $95.00 fee, and thereafter optionally pay a $95 annual "License Maintenance Fee" for continuing support and upgrades.15 There is special pricing for students and educational users.16
SketchUp Pro licenses are per platform; a license for SketchUp Pro for Windows is not valid for SketchUp Pro for Macintosh.17
SketchUp holds a U.S. Patent 6,628,279, awarded in September 2003, on its "Push/Pull" technology.
On April 27, 2006, Google announced Google SketchUp, a free downloadable version of SketchUp, without some functionality of SketchUp Pro, but including integrated tools for uploading content to Google Earth and to the Google 3D Warehouse. A toolbox enables a viewer to "walk around" and see things from different viewpoints, and supports labels for models, a look-around tool, and an "any polygon" shape tool.
The free version of Google Sketchup can export 3D to .dae and Google Earth's .kmz file format. The Pro version extends exporting support to include the .3ds, .dwg, .dxf, .fbx, .obj, .xsi, and .wrl file formats.
GPS location information is always stored in the KMZ file.20 The building designs themselves are saved in SKP.
SketchUp Pro 2013 has an improved LayOut 2013 module, and introduced Extension Warehouse, a source for plug-ins and add-ons.21 It supports HD Video Export.
Sketchup Make, introduced in May 2013, is a free-of-charge version for home, personal, and educational use.22
SketchUp 4 and later support software extensions written in the Ruby programming language, which add specialized functionality. Such extensions may be made available to others on the SketchUp Ruby Forum.23 SketchUp has a Ruby console, an environment which allows experimentation with Ruby.24 The free version of SketchUp also supports Ruby scripts, with workarounds for its import and export limitations.
- 3D computer graphics software
- Render Plus Systems
- Comparison of CAD editors for CAE
- Lightwave 3D
- Electric Image Animation System
- Cinema 4D
- Trimble Navigation to buy Google's SketchUp
- Release Notes
- "SketchUp Hardware and software requirements". Trimble. October 2, 2013. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- Bacus, John. "A new home for SketchUp". Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Linking Positioning to Productivity". Trimble Navigation Limited. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "What makes SketchUp great". Google SketchUp website. Google. March 25, 2010. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- "@Last gets 'Googled'". It.tmcnet.com. March 15, 2006. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- "Sketchup to IMVU Exporter - beta". IMVU.com. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- "DigitalMediaNet Announces DigitalCAD Community Choice Award Winners". Digitalcad.com. November 16, 2000. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- "SketchUpdate". Sketchup.com. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- "Trimble to Enhance its Office-to-Field Platform with the Acquisition of Google's SketchUp 3D Modeling Platform". Trimble.com. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "What's New In SketchUp Pro 2013?". SoftwareParadise.co.uk. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "Trimble SketchUp Make License.". Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "Upgrade, Maintenance, and Support program details". Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "Licences for Education". Trimble. Retrieved June 2013.
- "Cross-platform license.". Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- http://sketchup.google.com/download/ 2012-05-23
- http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21290 2012-05-23
- "Can I export my SketchUp models to other programs or formats?". Google SketchUp Help. Google. February 19, 2010. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- "Introducing SketchUp Pro 2013". Trimble. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Google SketchUp Developers". Google Groups. Google. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- SketchUp Ruby Documentation Page 1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SketchUp.|
- SketchUp Homepage
- Google 3D Warehouse
- SketchUp Video Tutorials
- SketchUp Related 3D Community
- SketchUp Pro 8 Free version