Source London is a network of electric vehicle charging points in London. First announced in November 2010 and launched on 27 May 2011 by London Mayor Boris Johnson, it is the first city-wide network in London12 and initially provides 150 charging points across the capital with plans to expand coverage to 1,300 charging points by 2013.3
Charging points are located in residential streets, public car parks, at supermarkets, shopping centres and similar places. Use of a Source London branded charging point requires registration with the network's website and the payment of an annual fee of £10 per vehicle.4 Registered members are issued with a card that is swiped on the charging point's card reader to permit charging an unlimited number of times.3
Source London is a Transport for London-led consortium of public and private sector organizations. The IT infrastructure was developed by Siemens and the network is partly funded by Scottish and Southern Energy and National Car Parks. Other organisations involved include Heathrow Airport, Gatwick Airport, Asda, Capital Shopping Centres, Sainsbury's, IKEA, Whittington Hospital, Enterprise Rent-a-Car and London Underground.3 The Department for Transport provided £9.3 million 50% match funding for the development of the network's infrastructure.5
The expansion of the network will be achieved, in part, by integrating existing charging points previously operated independently by London Borough councils. At launch, 11 boroughs had installed or were planning to install Source London charging points, or were intending to upgrade their own charging points for integration into the network. Ten other boroughs had committed to the network.67
Source London is working with the Department for Transport's Office for Low Emission Vehicles and cities in the UK with the aim of developing a national charging point network.8
- "Mayor's electric vehicle charging network, Source London, to go live in spring 2011". Transport for London. 6 November 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "Mayor switches on new electric vehicle scheme - Source London". Source London. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "Mayor switches on new electric vehicle scheme 'Source London'". Transport for London. 27 May 2011. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "Source London web site, Membership details". Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Greater London Authority Group". Source London. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "London Local Authorities". Source London. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "The charge point network for London". Source London. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "A plan for London". Source London. Retrieved 27 May 2011.