|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
Siorrachd Inbhir Àir a Deas
|• Body||South Ayrshire Council|
|• Control||TBA (council NOC)|
|• Total||472 sq mi (1,222 km2)|
|Area rank||Ranked 15th|
|Population (2010 est.)|
|• Rank||Ranked 18th|
|• Density||240/sq mi (91/km2)|
|ISO 3166 code||GB-SAY|
South Ayrshire (Scots: Sooth Ayrshire; Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir a Deas, pronounced [ʃirˠəxk iɲiˈɾʲaːɾʲ ə tʲes̪]) is one of 32 council areas of Scotland, covering the southern part of Ayrshire. It borders onto Dumfries and Galloway, East Ayrshire and North Ayrshire.
The administrative boundaries were formed in 1996, and is a direct successor to the Kyle and Carrick district.
South Ayrshire's Headquarters, "County Buildings", are located in Wellington Square, Ayr. The buildings were built in 1931 on the site of Ayr Jail and opened by King George VI. At the front of the buildings is Ayr Sheriff Court which was built as the original county buildings in 1822.
- Old Dailly
- Pinmore & Pinwherry
- Ailsa Craig
- Bachelor's Club, Tarbolton
- Bargany Gardens
- Burns Cottage
- Burns National Heritage Park (Robert Burns)
- Carrick Forest
- Crossraguel Abbey
- Culzean Castle
- Electric Brae
- Souter Johnnie's Cottage
|School||School roll||Opened||Area served||notes|
|Ayr Academy||715||1880||North Ayr, Coylton, Annbank, Mossblown||Scotland's oldest secondary school|
|Belmont Academy||1455||New School Opened August 2008||South Ayr||6th Largest school in Scotland|
|Carrick Academy||554||1926||Maybole||Present buildings built in 1974|
|Girvan Academy||660||Girvan and (South) South Ayrshire|
|Kyle Academy||902||1979||East Ayr|
|Marr College||1233||1935||Troon and Loans||funded by money left by CK Marr|
|Queen Margaret Academy||662||1977||Roman Catholic pupils in South Ayrshire||Only Roman Catholic school in South Ayrshire|
|Prestwick Academy||1200||1902||Prestwick, North Ayr, Symington and Monkton|
|Scottish National Party||9|
Conservative Councillors: Bill McIntosh (Leader of the Council) Margaret Toner, Mary Kilpatrick (Depute Provost) Peter Convery, Hugh Hunter, John Hampton, Bill Grant, Robin Reid, Hywel Davies, Ann Galbraith.
Scottish National Party Councillors: Douglas Campbell (Group Leader), Nan McFarlane, Allan Dorans JP, William Grant, Ian Douglas, Corrie Wilson, John Allan, Ian Cochrane and Alec Oattes.
Labour Councillors: John McDowall (Group Leader) Phil Saxton, Helen Moonie(Provost), Ian Cavana, Andy Campbell, Sandra Goldie, Rita Miller, Kirsty Darwent and Brian McGinley.
Independent Councillors: Brian Connolly and Alec Clark.
The Council elections in May 2003 resulted in a "hung" Council where both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party had 15 seats. Control of the Council was nominally given to the Labour party after a "cutting of the cards", though such an unstable arrangement had a detrimental effect on the decision-making process.original research? In November 2005 the leader of the Labour group Andy Hill resigned on the grounds of ill-health,1 allowing the Conservatives to govern with a 15-14 majority until the 2007 election. Gibson MacDonald became Leader of the Council with Robin Reid as Deputy Leader.
- Innes, John (29 November 2005). "Ayrshire council leader quits over health". The Scotsman (Edinburgh).