South Ozone Park, Queens
|South Ozone Park|
|Neighborhoods of New York City|
|• Median income||$47,584|
|Area code(s)||718, 347, 917|
South Ozone Park is a lower middle class neighborhood in the southwestern section of the New York City borough of Queens. It was originally developed as low-cost housing in the early 1900s. Adjacently north of JFK Airport, its boundaries extend from the Aqueduct Racetrack eastward to the Van Wyck Expressway.1 Its main thoroughfare is Rockaway Boulevard. The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 10.2
Despite its name, South Ozone Park is mostly east of the neighborhood of Ozone Park. Richmond Hill lies to the north. Jamaica, South Jamaica, and Springfield Gardens are to the east. To the southwest are Howard Beach and Old Howard Beach.1
South Ozone Park is home to a more diverse population, with many Indians, Bangladeshis, Guyanese,and whites living in the area, in addition to the area's longtime Italian-American population. Italian-Americans are most prevalent in the southern and western areas in the neighborhood near the Conduit. The neighborhood is located in the Sixth congressional district, and is represented by Democrat Gregory Meeks. There has been a recent surge of development in South Ozone Park that rivals many of the surrounding communities in terms of home value.citation needed
Rockaway Boulevard is South Ozone Park's main business strip. There is also a high concentration of small businesses along Liberty Avenue in nearby Richmond Hill, which is also one of South Ozone Park's main source of revenue.clarification needed The organized crime associate Parnell Edwards was killed here,where? shortly after the Lufthansa Heist in 1978. South Ozone Park is served by the Q7 bus on Rockaway Boulevard, the Q9 bus on Lincoln Street, the Q10 bus on Lefferts Boulevard, the Q37 bus along 111 Street. the Q41 on 109th Avenue, and the QM18 Express Bus to Midtown Manhattan along Lefferts Blvd.
- Our Lady's Catholic Academy Our Lady’s Catholic Academy is a diverse, child-centered Catholic elementary school with 2 campuses that serves the South Ozone Park community. The first school campus located on 126th Street and Rockaway Boulevard, was founded in September 2009, under the direction and guidance of the Board of Directors. The school expanded to a second campus in September 2012 and is located on 128th Street and 111th Avenue 3
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help School is the parish school for the church of the same name. It is located on 115th Street and is within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. Established on September 12, 1927, it educates in grades PK-8. The principal is Mrs. Frances DeLuca.
- P.S. 108Q - Captain Vincent G. Fowler is an elementary school that educates an average of 1400 students from Pre K-5th Grade. It is located across from the Aqueduct Racetrack.
- Virgil I Grissom, J.H.S. 226, Rockaway Blvd and 122nd Street. This middle school is named for the late astronaut, it features Grades 6-8 and specializes in several areas of general education practices. It is a zoned school nestled in an area of a diverse population. Virgil I. Grissom contains violence, but Rushell White has worked on this problem and started creating programs for the children.
- P.S. 124 Osmond A Church
- P.S. 45 The Clarence E. Witherspoon School, at 126-28 150th Street, serves grades K-6.
- P.S 121 is located at 126-10 - 109 Avenue,It was K-8 when Bill Geyer graduated in 1938