Exterior of St Mary-le-Bow
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Architect(s)||Sir Christopher Wren|
|Parish||St Mary Le Bow Cheapside|
|Diocese||Diocese of London|
|Vicar(s)||Rev. George Raymond Bush|
St Mary-le-Bow // is a historic church in the City of London1 on the main east-west thoroughfare, Cheapside. According to tradition a true Cockney must be born within earshot of the sound of Bow Bells (which refers to this church's bells rather than St Mary and Holy Trinity, Bow Road in Bow which until the 19th century was an outlying village).2
Traditionally, distances by road from London are now measured from Charing Cross but before the late 18th century were, for instance, measured from the London Stone in Cannon Street, or the "Standard" in Cornhill. On the road from London to Lewes the mileage is taken from the church door of St Mary-le-Bow. To emphasize the reference used, mileposts along the way are marked with a cast-iron depiction of a bow and four bells.45
Details of the bells:
|1||5-3-21||1565.6||G||27.75"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|2||5-3-10||1389.5||F||29.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|3||6-1-7||1298.5||E||30.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|4||6-2-17||1170.0||D||32.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|5||7-3-27||1046.5||C||34.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|6||8-3-27||978.5||B||35.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|7||10-0-20||869.0||A||38.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|8||12-1-11||778.0||G||41.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|9||17-3-17||694.0||F||46.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|10||21-2-23||649.5||E||49.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|11||29-1-5||585.0||D||54.00"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
|12||41-3-21||521.2||C||61.25"||1956||Mears & Stainbank|
Archaeological evidence indicates that a church existed on this site in Saxon period England. A medieval version of the church had been destroyed in the late 11th century by one of the earliest recorded (and one of the most violent) tornadoes in Britain, the London Tornado of 1091.6 During the later Norman period, the church known as “St Mary de Arcubus” was rebuilt and was famed for its two arches (“bows”) of stone. From at least the 13th century, the church was a peculier of the Diocese of Canterbury and the seat of the Court of Arches, to which it gave the name.78 The church with its steeple had been a landmark of London and the “bow bells”, which could be heard as far away as Hackney Marshes,citation needed were once used to order a curfew in the City of Londoncitation needed. This building burned in the Great Fire of London of 1666.
Considered the second most important church in the City of London after St Paul's Cathedral, St-Mary-le-Bow was one of the first churches to be rebuilt by Christopher Wren and his office for this reason.9 The current building was built to the designs of Wren 1671—1673; the 223 feet (68 m) steeple was completed 1680. The mason-contractor was Thomas Cartwright,10 one of the leading London mason-contractors and carvers of his generation.
In 1914, a stone from the crypt of St Mary-le-Bow church was placed in Trinity Church, New York in commemoration of the fact that King William III granted the vestry of Trinity Church the same privileges as St Mary-le-Bow vestry which was the forenunner to lower-tier local government. A recording of the Bow Bells made in 1926 has been used by the BBC World Service as an interval signal for the English-language broadcasts since the early 1940s. It is still used today preceding some English language broadcasts.
Much of the current building was destroyed by a German bomb during the Blitz on 10 May 1941,11 during which fire the bells crashed to the ground. Restoration under the direction of Laurence King12 was begun in 1956 (with internal fittings made by Faith-Craft, part of the Society of the Faith) and the bells as listed above, cast in 1956, were eventually installed to resume ringing in 1961. The church was formally reconsecrated in 1964 having achieved designation as a Grade I listed building on 4 January 1950.13
St Mary-le-Bow ministers to the financial industry and livery companies of the City of London.14 Consequently services feature weekday morning and evening led prayers lasting just a quarter of an hour generally at 08:15 (except Tuesdays) and 17:45.15 There is a memorial in the church to the first Governor in Australia, Admiral Arthur Phillip who was born in the parish. Through this connection the Rector of St Mary-le-Bow is the Chaplain of the Britain–Australia Society.
It is still home to the Court of Arches today.
The organ is a two-manual and pedal design by Kenneth Tickell and Company, with design and construction initiated in 2004. It occupies the case of the previous Rushworth and Dreaper organ (from the 1960s). The inaugural recital was given by Thomas Trotter in September 2010. The resident organist is Alan Wilson.
- Mentioned in Pepys's diary, "Samuel Pepys - The Shorter Pepys" Latham, R. (Ed) p484: Harmondsworth, 1985 ISBN 0-14-009418-0
- Leigh's map of the Environs of London 1819 The city as was is shown in the map; it shows Bow, the village between Mile End and Stratford, in a historical form Stratford le Bow.
- The bells that made cockneys Howse, Christopher, Daily Telegraph 2007-09-22, accessed 2007-10-30
- Hissey, James J. (1910). The charm of the road. London: Macmillan. p. 58. OCLC 5071681.
- "Bow Bell Milestone 35 miles from London". The National Heritage List for England. English Heritage. 1993. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Stormy weather". Daily Telegraph. 2006-12-08. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- Catholic Encyclopaedia, 1907 edition
- Keane, D. J.; Harding, Vanessa (1987). "St. Mary le Bow". Historical gazetteer of London before the Great Fire. Online edition from "British History Online". pp. 199–212. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "The City Churches of Sir Christopher Wren" Jeffery, P., Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd, 2007 ISBN 978-1-84725-014-8
- "London: the City Churches” Pevsner, N. / Bradley, S. New Haven, Yale, 1998 ISBN 0-300-09655-0
- "The London Encyclopaedia" Hibbert,C;Weinreb,D;Keay,J: London, Pan Macmillan, 1983 (rev 1993,2008) ISBN 978-1-4050-4924-5
- "The Visitor's Guide to the City of London Churches" Tucker, T: London, Friends of the City Churches, 2006, ISBN 0-9553945-0-3
- Details from listed building database (199370) . Images of England. English Heritage. accessed 22 January 2009
- Church's historic home in the City Byrne, Michael and Bush, G.R. Times Online 26 October 2007, accessed 2007-10-30
- A Church Near You, a Church of England website
- Howard Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects
- Michael Byrne and George R. Bush (eds), St Mary-le-Bow: A History (Privately published, 2007).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: St Mary-le-Bow|