Stamford Brook tube station
Location of Stamford Brook in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Hounslow|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Original company||London and South Western Railway|
|1 January 1869||Line opened|
|1 February 1912||Station opened|
|3 June 1916||L&SWR service ceased|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Stamford Brook is a London Underground station on the eastern edge of Chiswick in west London. The station is served by the District Line and is between Ravenscourt Park and Turnham Green stations. The main entrance is located on Goldhawk Road (A402) with a secondary entrance on Prebend Gardens. It is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station takes its name from Stamford Brook, a tributary of the River Thames that is now predominantly underground.
The line through Stamford Brook station was opened on 1 January 1869 by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) on a new branch line to Richmond from the West London Joint Railway starting north of Addison Road station (now Kensington (Olympia)). The line ran through Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith via a now closed curve. Initially there were no stations between Grove Road station in Hammersmith (also now closed) and Turnham Green.
From its opening, a number of services operated over the route to Richmond in addition to the L&SWR including:
- Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) from 1 June 1877
- Great Western Railway, briefly in 1870 and from 1894 to 1910
- Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan Line), from 1877 to 1906
By 1 February 1912 when the station opened, only L&SWR and the MDR still operated on the line and on 3 June 1916 the L&SWR withdrew its own service leaving the District Railway as the sole operator.
In the early 1930s, the London Electric Railway, precursor of the London Underground and owner of the District and Piccadilly Lines, began the reconstruction of the tracks between Hammersmith and Acton Town to enable the Piccadilly Line to be extended from Hammersmith to Uxbridge and Hounslow West (then the terminus of what is now the Heathrow branch). Express non-stop tracks were provided for the Piccadilly Line between the stopping lines of the District Line. Services on the Piccadilly Line began running through Stamford Brook on 4 July 1932.
Originally, the station had an island platform with District Line trains serving one side in each direction but, with the introduction of the Piccadilly Line tracks, the eastbound District Line track became the westbound Piccadilly Line track and a new platform was built for the eastbound District Line.
Stamford Brook was the first tube station to have an automatic ticket barrier installed on 5 January 1964.4
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stamford Brook tube station.|
- The 237 bus stops outside.
- The station is also a short walk from Chiswick High Road, where bus routes 27, H91, 267 190 and 391 operate.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2009". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Penguin Pocket On This Day. Penguin Reference Library. 2006. ISBN 0-14-102715-0.
- London's Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|