19,049 (by birth, 2006).2
|Regions with significant populations|
|New South Wales||5,335|
Sudanese Australians are people of Sudanese ancestry or birth who live in Australia. In the 2006 census, there were 19,049 Sudanese-born Australian residents, making up 0.1% of the population. Many of the Sudanese-born people recorded in the 2006 Australian census had arrived very recently: 77% since 2000.4 Between 1996 and 2005, the largest increase in Australian people born overseas were Sudanese, at 28% per year. Other fast-growing overseas-born groups were people from Afghanistan (12% average increase per year) and Iraq (10%). Australian residents from sub-Saharan Africa increased on average by 6% per year over this period.5
On the 2006 Census 17,848 residents in Australia claimed to have Sudanese ancestry.1 People of Sudanese descent now live in almost every capital city in Australia, particularly Melbourne (5,911), Sydney (5,335) and Perth (1,993)6
Before the First Sudanese Civil War, most Sudanese migrants arrived in Australia to pursue educational opportunities in both undergraduate and post graduate institutions across Australia.citation needed
A larger influx of Sudanese emigrated to Australia as a result of political and economic problems. The most noticeable exodus occurred among professional and middle class Sudanese who along with their children took advantage of education and employment opportunities in Australia to emigrate.citation needed
Since 1983, fighting between Sudan's Northern government and the rebels in the south has killed about 2 million people. The fighting in Sudan has interfered with the production and distribution of food and caused widespread hunger. Many civilians in southern Sudan had fled their region because of this crisis. Some Sudanese Australians returned to their ancestral homeland when the conflict officially ended in 2005.citation needed
- "20680-Ancestry (full classification list) by Sex - Australia" (Microsoft Excel download). 2006 Census. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- "20680-Country of Birth of Person (full classification list) by Sex - Australia" (Microsoft Excel download). 2006 Census. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "2914.0.55.002 2006 Census Ethnic Media Package" (Excel download). Census Dictionary, 2006 (cat.no 2901.0). Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2007-06-27. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "3412.0 - Migration, Australia, 2004-05". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 19 March 2006. Retrieved 2 March 2010.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics Australian Migration
- Australian Bureau of Statistics - Ethnic media package 2006
- Sudanese Stories - An oral history project recording the migration journeys and settlement experiences of southern Sudanese refugees now living in Blacktown, Western Sydney.
- Australian Migration ABS migration statistics