Tears (Ken Dodd song)
|Single by Ken Dodd|
|from the album Tears of Happiness|
|B-side||"You and I"|
|Label||Columbia DB 76591|
|Writer(s)||Billy Uhr, Frank Capano1|
|Ken Dodd singles chronology|
"Tears" ("Tears for Souvenirs") is a song written by lyricist Frank Capano and composer Billy Uhr,23 and was first recorded by Rudy Vallee in 1929.4 It was made famous by Ken Dodd as a single, released in 1965. It became a No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart,1 and the biggest selling single of 1965. The song also hit number one in the Irish Singles Chart.
Although best known as a comedian, Ken Dodd was a prolific recording artist throughout the 1960s. His debut single, "Love is like a Violin" reached No. 8 in 1960.1 There were nine more singles, none of which made the top 20, between then and "Tears".5
The single spent 24 weeks in total on the chart, with five of those at number 1.6 It sold over a million copies in the UK, becoming the biggest-selling single of 1965, and was the third biggest-selling single of the 1960s; it was the only non-Beatles song in the top 5.7 In 2002 it was listed as the UK's 19th best-selling single of all time, with sales of 1,521,000.8
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 96. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- "Tears by Ken Dodd Songfacts". Songfacts.com. 1956-02-12. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- dead link
- "The Unswinging Sixties". BBC News. 2010-06-03. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Ken Dodd". 45-rpm.org.uk. 1927-11-08. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 183–4. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Ken Dodd 'third best-selling artist of 1960s'". BBC News (BBC). 1 June 2010. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
- Morgan-Gan, Theo (2002). "The UK's Best Selling Singles". UK Charts Home Page. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
"Make It Easy on Yourself" by The Walker Brothers
|UK number one single (by Ken Dodd)
30 September 1965 (5 weeks)
"Get off of My Cloud" by The Rolling Stones