Trinity Street, Cambridge
Trinity College is located on the west side of the street, hence the name. Also on the street, just to the south, is Gonville and Caius College. In Gonville and Caius, St Michael's and St Mary's Courts lie across Trinity Street on land surrounding St Michael's Church. The full formation of St Michael's Court occurred in the 1930s, with the building at the south side of the court.
Michaelhouse is a former college of the University of Cambridge, established formally on Michaelmas Day 1324 as a college for scholars in Holy Orders, Michaelhouse is named after the parish church of the same name located on Cambridge's magna strata or High Street (today's Trinity Street). It combined with King's Hall to form Trinity College in 1546.
Bowes & Bowes was a bookseller and publishing company located at 1 Trinity Street, a corner position at the junction with King's Parade and St Mary's Street to the east. It has a claim to be the oldest bookshop in the United Kingdom, with books having been sold on the site since 1581.2 The Bowes & Bowes shop closed in 1986 and subsequently Sherratt & Hughes closed in 1992, since when the site has become the Cambridge University Press bookshop.2
The Hawks' Club, a members-only social club founded in 1872 for sportsmen at Cambridge University, was originally in Trinity Street. By the 1890s, it moved to a property owned by St John's College in All Saints' Passage.