UIUC College of Fine and Applied Arts
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (November 2012)|
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (October 2010)|
|University of Illinois College of Fine and Applied Arts|
|Dean||Robert B. Graves|
|Location||Champaign, Illinois, USA|
- School of Architecture
- School of Art and Design
- Art Education
- Art History
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Design
- New Media
- Department of Dance
- Department of Landscape Architecture
- Department of Theatre
- School of Music
- Jazz Studies
- Music Education
- Piano Pedagogy
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning
- Architecture Building
- Architecture East Annex One
- Art & Design Building
- Art East Annex Two
- Building Research Council (BRC)
- Dance Studio
- Erlanger House, Urbana, Illinois
- Flagg Hall
- Japan House
- Krannert Art Museum
- Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
- Music Building
- Mumford Hall
- Noble Hall
- Smith Memorial Hall
- South Studios
- Temple Hoyne Buell Hall
The College of Fine and Applied Arts celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2006.
Since the founding of the University of Illinois in 1867, the visual, performing, and environmental design arts have been an integral part of this institution, playing a distinct role in advancing its mission. Many of the college’s departments started as programs in other colleges, but over the decades the arts at Illinois have grown in size, stature, and notoriety into impressive units that make up a vibrant College — a rich array of disciplines that have come together to shape this campus’s dedication to the arts.
On October 3, 1921, a proposal was made by the University Senate to organize the Department of Architecture, the Division of Landscape Architecture, the School of Music and the Department of Art and Design into a College of Fine Arts. A committee, made up of faculty members, was appointed in 1928 to make recommendations, which were approved by the Senate on February 2, 1930. On March 12, 1931, the Board of Trustees established the college for the "... cultivation of esthetic taste on the part of the student body at large ... and development of general artistic appreciation." The first dean was appointed in 1932.
Today, the College includes the Schools of Architecture, Art and Design, and Music; the Departments of Dance, Landscape Architecture, Theatre, and Urban and Regional Planning; the East St. Louis Action Research Project; Japan House; the Krannert Art Museum; the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts; and Sinfonia da Camera, the University’s resident chamber orchestra. The College offers exhibitions, concerts, performances, lectures, master classes, and conferences in all areas of the performing and visual arts and for the designed and built environment."History of the Arts at Illinois". Retrieved 2008-11-05.
The University of Illinois has a long and rich history in the training of urban and regional planners, dating back to 1913 when Charles Mulford Robinson, one of the era's most distinguished planners, was appointed Professor of Civic Design in the University's Landscape Architecture Division. At that time, only the University of Illinois and Harvard University offered courses in urban planning. In 1945 the university authorized a master's degree in urban planning, and in 1953 an undergraduate degree was established. Both programs were offered in the Department of Landscape Architecture until 1965, when the Department of Urban Planning became its own academic unit. The Department established the Ph.D in Regional Planning in 1983.
The Department of Urban and Regional Planning is one of the largest planning programs in the U.S., and it is one of very few programs that offers three degrees: a Bachelor of Arts in Urban Planning, a Master of Urban Planning, and a Doctor of Philosophy in Regional Planning. It also offers a Minor in Urban Planning, as well as joint master's degree options, including with Law, Architecture, and Landscape Architecture.."About DURP". Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- Max Abramovitz, B.S. 1929, architect of the Avery Fisher Hall of Lincoln Center and Assembly Hall on the Illinois campus
- Chris Britt, 2003, editorial cartoonist
- Temple Hoyne Buell, B.S. 1916
- Henry Bacon, 1884, architect of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.
- Mark Staff Brandl, B.F.A. 1978, artist and art historian
- Jeanne Gang, B.S. 1986, founder and principal of the Chicago architecture firm Studio Gang
- Jerry Hadley, M.F.A., Grammy Award-winning operatic tenor
- Betsy Brandt, actress, most famous for role as Marie Schrader on Breaking Bad
- Ralph Johnson, B.Arch 1971, principal architect of the Perkins+Will
- Ang Lee, B.A. 1980m, Academy Award-winning movie director (Best Director, 2005, Brokeback Mountain)
- César Pelli, M.Arch. 1954, architect of Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Nathan Clifford Ricker, D.Arch. 1873, architecture educator
- Jay Ryan, B.F.A. 1994, artist and rock musician
- Carolee Schneemann, M.F.A., artist