USS Interceptor (AGR-8)
|Namesake:||One who intercepts|
|Ordered:||as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 3147|
|Builder:||J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||date unknown, as Liberty ship Edward W. Burton|
|Launched:||12 September 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Miss Juanita M. Kaylor|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 28 June 1955|
|Commissioned:||15 February 1956 as USS Interceptor (YAGR-8) at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina|
|Decommissioned:||1 September 1965|
|Renamed:||Interceptor 15 February 1956|
|Reclassified:||AGR-8, 28 September 1958|
|Refit:||converted to a Radar Picket Ship at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina|
|Struck:||1 September 1965|
|Homeport:||San Francisco, California|
|National Defense Service Medal|
|Fate:||scrapped, 16 February 1978|
|Type:||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Tons burthen:||10,760 tons|
|Installed power:||two Electric Generators|
|Propulsion:||two 220 PSI boilers; one 3 cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; one 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower 2,500|
|Capacity:||Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water|
|Complement:||13 officers, 138 enlisted|
|Armament:||two 3"/50 guns|
USS Interceptor (AGR-8/YAGR-8) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1955 from the “mothballed” reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Pacific Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.
Intercepter (YAGR-8) was launched as Liberty Ship Edward W, Burton by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Inc., Panama City, Florida, 12 September 1945; sponsored by Miss Juanita M. Kaylor; and delivered to T..J. Stevenson & Co. 8 November 1945.
She served several lines as a cargo ship until being placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Wilmington, North Carolina, 20 June 1948. Acquired by the Navy 28 June 1955, the ship was converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shipyard and commissioned Interceptor 15 February 1956, Lieutenant Commander (LCDR) Boyd Lorenzo Hall in command. Boyd L. Hall
Interceptor was designed to carry the latest in long-range radar and communications equipment and to act as an ocean radar station ship. Following shakedown training she sailed from Charleston, South Carolina, 17 March en route to her new home port, San Francisco, California.
Arriving via the Panama Canal 11 April, the ship began a regular cycle of 3- to 4-week at-sea periods as a picket ship under the Continental Air Defense Command. Operating with search aircraft, Interceptor could detect, track, and report aircraft at great distances as well as control interceptor aircraft in the event of an air attack on the United States.
Patrolling off the coast of Canada she formed an integral part of North America's air early warning system. Reclassified AGR-8, radar picket ship, 28 September 1958, Interceptor for the next 7 years operated with NORAD in forming an important link in the nation's defenses.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - YAGR / AGR-8 Interceptor