USS Interdictor (AGR-13)
|Namesake:||One who prohibits|
|Ordered:||as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 3142|
|Builder:||J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||18 May 1945, as Liberty ship SS Edwin H. Duff|
|Launched:||29 June 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Edwin H. Duff|
|Completed:||27 July 1945|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 5 June 1957|
|Commissioned:||7 April 1958 as USS Interdictor (YAGR-13) at Charleston Naval Shipyard|
|Decommissioned:||5 August 1965|
|Reclassified:||AGR-13, 28 September 1958|
|Refit:||Converted to a Radar Picket Ship at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina|
|Struck:||1 September 1965|
|Homeport:||San Francisco, California|
|National Defense Service Medal|
|Fate:||sold 13 June 1974 for non-maritime use|
|Type:||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Tons burthen:||11,365 tons|
|Installed power:||two electric generators|
|Propulsion:||Two 220 PSI boilers; Filer & Stowell Co., of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, three cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; Single 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower, 2,500|
|Capacity:||Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water|
|Complement:||13 officers, 138 enlisted|
|Armament:||two 3"/50 guns|
USS Interdictor (AGR-13/YAGR-13) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1957 from the “mothballed” reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Pacific Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.
Interdictor (YAGR-13) was launched as Liberty ship SS Edwin H. Duff by J. A. Jones Construction Company, Inc., Panama City, Florida. 29 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Edwin H. Duff; and delivered to McCormack Steamship Company 27 July 1945.
She carried aircraft until entering the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Virginia, 17 October 1945, and except for brief cargo service remained there until being acquired by the Navy 10 May 1957.
Renamed Interdictor and converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shipyard, she commissioned 7 April 1958, Lt. Comdr. J. P. Dordahl in command.
Fitted with the latest and best electronic search and tracking equipment, Interdictor sailed 2 May 1958 for shakedown training in the Caribbean. She departed Charleston, South Carolina, 18 July and sailed to her new home port, San Francisco, California.
Arriving 13 August, the ship assumed her role as an ocean radar station ship, part of America's vast early warning defense system. Operating with search aircraft, Interdictor could detect, track, and report enemy aircraft at great distances, supplementing land-based radar stations, and controls high-speed interceptor aircraft in case of attack. She also carried out weather reporting duties during her three to four week cruises in the Pacific Ocean.
Interdictor's hull classification was changed 28 September 1958 to AGR-13. She continued on radar picket patrols for the Continental Air Defense Command out of San Francisco until decommissioned 5 August 1965.
Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 September 1965 when she transferred to the U.S. Maritime Administration for lay-up in the Suisun Bay River Defense Reserve Fleet, San Francisco, California, where she remained until she was sold 13 June 1974. Her subsequent fate is not known.
Interdictor personnel qualified for the following medal:
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - YAGR / AGR-13 Interdictor