|Type of site||Forum|
|Registration||Yes, using Ubuntu One|
|Alexa rank||2,312 1|
On July 20, 2013 the site was compromised, with attacker(s) both defacing the site and obtaining "every user's local username, password, and email address".4
The Ubuntu Forums were created by Ryan Troy in October 2004.5 The forums became a popular resource for Ubuntu and were deemed the Official Ubuntu Forums in November 2004.6 The forums hosting continued to be paid for by Ryan and the occasional donations of forum community members until March 2006, when Canonical offered to host the forums on its own servers. In June 2007, the forums' domain name, license, and assets were all transferred to Canonical, which now has sole ownership.7
The primary function of The Ubuntu Forums is for Ubuntu support, but it also has a popular community area where other topics may be discussed.8
The Ubuntu Forums are governed by a moderation team made up of volunteers, often referred to as The Forum Staff.9 The Forum Staff have two ranks, administrators and moderators. The administrators serve on the Forum Council.10
- "Statistics from Alexa". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 07 Feb 2013.
- "Web Forums". Ubuntu. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "Why the Ubuntu Forums use VBulletin". Ubuntu Forums. Retrieved 07 Feb 2013.
- "Ubuntu Forums is down for maintenance". Ubuntu Forums. Retrieved 22 Jul 2013.
- About Ubuntu Forums
- "Ryan Troy". O'Reilly. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Mako Hill, Benjamin; Burger, Corey; Helmke, Matthew. "A Brief History of The Ubuntu Forums". informIT. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "The Community Cafe". Ubuntu Forums. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- Forum Staff
- "Forum Council". Ubuntu. Retrieved 29 March 2012.