|Company / developer||Canonical Ltd.|
|Working state||In development|
|Source model||open source|
|Update method||APT (frontends available)|
|Package manager||dpkg (frontends like Synaptic availablecitation needed)|
|Supported platforms||x86, x86-64, ARM1|
|Kernel type||monolithic (Linux kernel)|
|Default user interface||Unity|
|License||GNU GPL v3|
Ubuntu TV is a smart TV operating system developed by Canonical, based on the Ubuntu operating system and using the Unity user interface.234 It is designed for the living-room TV using a remote control.5
Ubuntu TV is a variant of the Ubuntu Linux distribution specially designed for embedded systems integrated into televisions. It was announced by Canonical at CES 2012 with the slogan "TV for human beings".6781 Ubuntu TV was shown at Mobile World Congress 2012.9 Ubuntu for Android will use the Ubuntu TV interface when connected to a TV.10
Ubuntu TV will be based on Ubuntu 12.04,11 is expected to have its own movie store,1 ability to record and play videos, DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc support,12 touch-ready interface12 ability to integrate all standard terrestrial broadcast system and also satellite and cable services,13 ability to stream music, photos and videos from a PC to the TV13 and applications designed specifically for Ubuntu TV.12
- Miller, Paul (21 December 2011). "Ubuntu TV video hands-on". The Verge. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Walters, Ray. "Canonical outs Ubuntu TV: Brave or stupid?". Extremetech.com. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- Schofield, Jack (31 May 2011). "CES 2012: free Ubuntu TV has service and revenue fees". Zdnet.co.uk. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- Unity-based Ubuntu TV takes on Google TV "Unity-based Ubuntu TV takes on Google TV". linuxfordevices.com. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- Paul, Ryan (12 January 2012). "Hands-on with Ubuntu TV, above and under the hood". Ars Technica. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Canonical Demonstrates Ubuntu TV". Pcworld.com. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "CES: Canonical shows off Ubuntu TV". Pcadvisor.co.uk. 19 December 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Canonical’s Ubuntu TV Surfaces at CES 2012". Itproportal.com. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Canonical Demonstrates Ubuntu TV at MWC 2012 - Softpedia". News.softpedia.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Shuttleworth, Mark, Ubuntu in your pocket, 21 February 2012
- "Ubuntu TV readies for battle with Google and Apple - Techworld.com". News.techworld.com. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Experience". Ubuntu. 5 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Features and specs". Ubuntu. 5 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.