|— Municipality —|
|• Total||67.59 km2 (26.10 sq mi)|
|• Land||67.13 km2 (25.92 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.46 km2 (0.18 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2007)|
|• Density||599/km2 (1,550/sq mi)|
|Source: CBS, Statline.|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Uden was first recorded around 1190 as “Uthen”. However, earlier settlements have been found in the areas of the modern day Moleneind, Vorstenburg and Bitswijk and evidence of ice-age settlements has been found near the hamlet of Slabroek. From 1324 Uden was ruled by the Valkenburg house and became a part of the Land van Ravenstein. After 1397 it became a part of the German duchy of Cleves.
Uden was hardly affected by the Eighty Years' War and gained religious freedom in 1631. A result of this was the establishment in the municipality of the Crosiers, who fled from Protestant Dutch oppression in 's-Hertogenbosch in 1638. After the peace of Munster in 1648, Uden remained outside the Dutch republic and was a haven of religious tolerance and Catholics from the nearby villages of Veghel, Nistelrode and Erp were able to build churches at the municipality’s boundaries. The period of 1648–1795 saw an increase in prosperity due to the weekly markets, however, the village was almost destroyed by a fire in 1746. The Dutch folk-hero Kobus van der Schlossen was locally active at this time.
In 1795 Uden was taken by French troops and incorporated into the Dutch republic and has been a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands since 1810. From then on Uden’s wealth diminished mainly due to competition from the neighbouring Brabant villages, resulting in emigration to Wisconsin and other parts of the United States.
In 1855 the village of Volkel founded its own parish.
The Dominican missionary, Father Theodore Van de Broek led a group in 1848 from Uden to Little Chute, Wisconsin, beginning a pattern of immigration to northeast Wisconsin that would last until the early twentieth century. The village began to specialise in the growth of cherries from 1860 onwards and in 1886 the old Petrus-church was demolished by fire and replaced by a new larger one.
During World War I (in which the Netherlands stayed neutral) North Brabant was inundated by Belgian refugees. A refugee camp was erected at Vluchtoord in Uden, which housed several thousand Flemish refugees until 1918.
In the 1920s people started to cultivate the massive heathlands in the eastern part of the municipality, called "De Peel". In 1922 a new village was built, called Terraveen and later renamed Odiliapeel.
Uden was visited by Wilhelmina, queen of the Netherlands after it had been struck by a cyclone in 1925 which caused much devastation.
Since the 1950s Uden has become a centre of development, providing much needed economic growth. Uden has now become a regional centre. Due to the growth, very little is left of the old village character.
Shortly after the assassination of Theo van Gogh in Amsterdam, an Islamic school in Uden 'Bedir' was burnt down. Since that incident Uden's residents have taken up the task of investigating and re-evaluating the local education system during and out of school hours.
In 2011 it was announced that a third Vorstengraf was discovered in Uden.
- Brigitinesse abbey of Mary's Refuge
- Church of Saint Peter's Chair
- Chapel of the Crosiers
- Mill of Jettens
- Monastery of the Crosiers
- Monastery of the Ursulines
- Volkel Air Base
- World War II cemetery
U.S. international football (soccer) player Earnie Stewart was born and raised in Uden. Fashion designer Addy van den Krommenacker was also born and raised in Uden. Producer Cilia van Dijk was born and raised in Uden on 22 November 1941. She won an Oscar in 1985 for producing the short animated movie Anna and Bella. Erik van Lieshout (born 19 November 1970) and Angelique Bisschops (born 29 Januari 1972) became 7 times Dutch Champion and 4 time Champion of the Benelux in Latin And Ballroom Dancing.
Uden shares tie of friendship with the German city of Lippstadt.