University of Illinois Willard Airport
|University of Illinois
|IATA: CMI – ICAO: KCMI – FAA LID: CMI|
|Operator||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Location||Tolono Township, Illinois|
|Elevation AMSL||754 ft / 230 m|
Location of Champaign County in Illinois
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration1|
University of Illinois Willard Airport (IATA: CMI, ICAO: KCMI, FAA LID: CMI) is south of Savoy in Tolono Township, Champaign County, Illinois. It is owned and operated by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and is named for former University of Illinois president Arthur Cutts Willard; it is home to the University of Illinois Institute of Aviation, a major research facility at the university.
The airport was dedicated on 26 October 1945. Airline flights began in 1954.2 The terminal building built in 19603 was used until the present terminal was completed in 1987.4 By 1969 Willard was the second-busiest airport in the state of Illinois.3 After the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 many airlines found service to small airports to be inefficient, the price differential to airfares from major hub airports such as Chicago O'Hare grew, which limited demand for tickets from Willard and caused airlines to leave.
On January 28, 1998 President Bill Clinton was in Champaign-Urbana for a speaking engagement at Assembly Hall and arrived at Willard Airport on Air Force One. Due to the breaking story, news media descended on Champaign-Urbana. After the engagement, just prior to takeoff, the Boeing 707 acting as Air Force One got stuck in the mud, the taxiway not being designed for aircraft as wide as the Boeing 707. After about an hour of being stuck, a backup Air Force One descended upon Willard Airport. The backup was SAM26000, which was the same 707 that took John F. Kennedy to Dallas. The trip on SAM26000 marked the last time it carried a sitting president. Several months later it was retired to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson. Many news broadcasts that evening carried live video feed of the Presidential aircraft stuck at Willard Airport. 5
Willard Airport covers 1,799 acres (728 ha) and has four runways:
- Runway 4/22: 6,501 x 150 ft. (1,981 x 46 m) Concrete
- Runway 14L/32R: 8,102 x 150 ft. (2,469 x 46 m) Concrete with ILS
- Runway 14R/32L: 3,817 x 75 ft. (1,163 x 23 m) Asphalt
- Runway 18/36: 5,302 x 150 ft. (1,615 x 46 m) Concrete
The terminal has five gates.
|American Eagle operated by Envoy||Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth|
The airport is served by buses from the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, which connect with intercity buses and with Amtrak. Several car rental agencies have offices in the terminal building. The airport is reached from U.S. Route 45, five miles south of downtown Champaign. The nearest expressway exit is Exit 229 (Monticello Road) on Interstate 57, about a four mile drive from the terminal. In addition to the curbside loading zone and the rental car parking lot, parking facilities include a paid parking lot ($5/day).8
- FAA Airport Master Record for CMI ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration.
- "Airport History". University of Illinois Willard Airport.
- Urbana Courier clipping file
- University Office for Facilities Planning and Programs: Willard Airport
- "President's Plane Gets Stuck In The Mud". AllPolitics. CNN.com. January 28, 1998.
- Dodson, Don (June 30, 2010). "Delta to end service at Willard on Aug. 31". The News-Gazette.
- "Parking". University of Illinois Willard Airport.
- Willard Airport, official website
- (PDF), effective March 6, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for CMI, effective March 6, 2014
- Resources for this airport: