Valencia County, New Mexico
|Valencia County, New Mexico|
Valencia County Courthouse in Los Lunas
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1852|
|Largest village||Los Lunas|
|• Total||1,068 sq mi (2,766 km2)|
|• Land||1,066 sq mi (2,761 km2)|
|• Water||2 sq mi (5 km2), 0.2%|
|• Density||72/sq mi (27.68/km²)|
|Congressional districts||1st, 2nd|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
The county, which was formerly much larger in area, lost almost 81 percent of its territory on June 19, 1981, upon the creation of Cibola County, which occupies the westernmost portion of Valencia County's former area.
- Bernalillo County, New Mexico - north
- Torrance County, New Mexico - east
- Socorro County, New Mexico - south
- Cibola County, New Mexico - west
- Cibola National Forest (part)
- El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro National Historic Trail (part)
- Manzano Wilderness (part)
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 73.2% White
- 1.4% Black
- 3.8% Native American
- 0.5% Asian
- 0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 4.0% Two or more races
- 17.0% Other races
- 58.3% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
As of the census5 of 2000, there were 66,152 people, 22,681 households, and 17,350 families residing in the county. The population density was 62 people per square mile (24/km²). There were 24,643 housing units at an average density of 23 per square mile (9/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 66.51% White, 1.27% Black or African American, 3.30% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 23.93% from other races, and 4.55% from two or more races. 54.98% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 22,681 households out of which 39.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.20% were married couples living together, 13.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.50% were non-families. 18.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the county the population was spread out with 30.10% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 29.60% from 25 to 44, 21.70% from 45 to 64, and 10.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 100.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,099, and the median income for a family was $37,157. Males had a median income of $30,339 versus $23,132 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,747. About 13.50% of families and 16.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.30% of those under age 18 and 10.80% of those age 65 or over.
- Casa Colorada
- El Cerro-Monterey Park
- Los Chavez
- Los Trujillos-Gabaldon
- Meadow Lake
- Rio Communities North
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- County status and boundary changes United States Census Bureau
|Cibola County||Torrance County|