Warwick Parish

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Warwick Parish, Bermuda)
Jump to: navigation, search
Bermuda-Warwick.png

Warwick Parish is one of the nine parishes of Bermuda. It is named for Robert Rich, 2nd Earl of Warwick (1587-1658).

It is located in the central south of the island chain, occupying part of the main island to the southeast of the Great Sound, the large expanse of water which dominates the geography of western Bermuda, and also a number of islands which lie within that sound. It is joined to Southampton Parish in the southwest, and to Paget Parish in the northeast. As with most of Bermuda's parishes, it covers just over 2.3 square miles (about 6.0 km² or 1500 acres).

Natural features in Warwick include Warwick Long Bay, Riddell's Bay, Darrell's Island, Hawkins Island, Long Island, and Marshall's Island. Hinson's Island, once part of Warwick, is now part of Paget Parish.

The parish also contains Warwick Camp, the former rifle ranges of the Imperial military garrison, which is, today, the home of the Bermuda Regiment, and most of which doubles as parkland (and the territory of which includes Warwick Long Bay, Horseshoe Bay, and the smaller beaches between).

Christ Church on Middle Road, Warwick is one of the world's oldest Presbyterian churches outside of Europe. It was founded in 1719 and is part of the Church of Scotland.

Warwick Pond was designated a Ramsar site on May 11, 1999.

External links

Coordinates: 32°16′00″N 64°48′30″W / 32.26667°N 64.80833°W / 32.26667; -64.80833








Creative Commons License