Wayne County, Tennessee
|Wayne County, Tennessee|
Location in the state of Tennessee
Tennessee's location in the U.S.
|Named for||General Anthony Wayne1|
736 sq mi (1,905 km²)
734 sq mi (1,901 km²)
2 sq mi (4 km²), .22%
23/sq mi (9/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 736 square miles (1,910 km2), of which 734 square miles (1,900 km2) is land and 2 square miles (5.2 km2) (0.22%) is water.
- Perry County (north)
- Lewis County (northeast)
- Lawrence County (east)
- Lauderdale County, Alabama (south)
- Hardin County (west)
- Decatur County (northwest)
- Natchez Trace Parkway (part)
|Wayne County, Tennessee|
As of the census3 of 2010, there were 17,021 people, 5,822 households, and 4,321 families residing in the county. The population density was 23 people per square mile (9/km²). There were 6,701 housing units at an average density of 9 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 92.3% White, 5.7% Black or African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.19% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. 1.6% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,936 households out of which 31.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.10% were married couples living together, 10.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.20% were non-families. 24.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county, the population was spread out with 21.40% under the age of 18, 9.10% from 18 to 24, 31.70% from 25 to 44, 24.20% from 45 to 64, and 13.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 121.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 125.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,576, and the median income for a family was $30,973. Males had a median income of $27,879 versus $19,034 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,472. About 12.90% of families and 16.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.60% of those under age 18 and 19.60% of those age 65 or over.
- Singing on the Farm - Cypress Inn
- Tour De Wayne Bicycle Ride
- Fireworks Show - Waynesboro
- Fourth of July in the Park - Waynesboro
- Wayne County History and Craft Fair - Waynesboro
- Old Timer's Day - Collinwood
- Horseshoe Riverbend Festival - Clifton
- Wayne County Adult Education Center
- Frank Hughes School
- Waynesboro Elementary School
- Waynesboro Middle School
- Wayne County High School
- Wayne County Technology Center
- Collinwood High School
- Collinwood Middle School
- Collinwood Elementary School
The religious affiliations of the people of Wayne County, Tennessee are: 5
- Southern Baptist Convention (47%)
- United Methodist Church (15%)
- Independent Free Will Baptist Associations(13%)
- Churches of Christ (12%)
- Church of God (5%)
- National Association of Free Will Baptists (3%)
- Cumberland Presbyterian Church (2%)
- Presbyterian Church (1%)
- International Pentecostal Holiness Church (1%)
- Catholic Church (1%)
- Church of God of Prophecy (0.8%)
- Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) (0.6%)
- Seventh-Day Adventist Church (0.3%)
- Church of the Nazarene (0.1%)
- Other (15%)
- Baha'i (0.1%)
- AM 930 WWON Waynesboro, Tennessee
- FM 94.9 WMSR-FM Collinwood, Tennessee
- FM 106.5 WLVS-FM Clifton, Tennessee
- FM 89.9 W210BE Waynesboro, Tennessee
- FM 100.7 WMBZ-FM Waynesboro, Tennessee
- The Wayne County News
Wayne County, Tennessee hosts the Tour de Wayne annually, which offers bicycle riders routes through Wayne county. Routes range from five (5) miles to one-hundred (100) miles and are suitable for riders of every experience level.
- Bob Rains, "Wayne County," Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. Retrieved: 23 April 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Based on 2000 census data
- Wayne County, City-Data.com. Retrieved: 23 April 2013.
- Wayne County Official Website
- Wayne County Chamber of Commerce
- Wayne County News
- Wayne County at the Open Directory Project
||Decatur County||Perry County||Lewis County|
|Hardin County||Lawrence County|
|Lauderdale County, Alabama|