The Wikipedia Library
|HighBeam Research partnership pages|
You can renew your old account too!
HighBeam Research is an online, subscription-based search engine for newspapers, magazines, academic journals, newswires, trade magazines and encyclopedias. The site has access to over 80 million articles from 6,500 publications, most of which are not available for free elsewhere on the internet. Thousands of new articles are added daily, archives date back over 25 years including trade journal, newspaper articles, and peer-reviewed journals covering a wide range of subjects and industries; and there are tools for finding, saving, organizing, and sharing information as documents. Aside from a free 7-day trial (credit card required), access to HighBeam costs $30 per month or $200 per year for the first year and $300 for subsequent years.
As of March 13, 2012 HighBeam has generously agreed to give free, full-access 1-year accounts for Wikipedia editors to use, at the discretion of the community. HighBeam is excited about this and does not expect there to be a shortage of these free, 1-year accounts; however, editors will have to have a 1 year-old account and 1000 edits in order to qualify for one. At the end of 1 year, editors who found the resource useful can simply re-apply.
- You do not have free access to HighBeam through your local library or university
- You have your preferences enabled to receive email messages on English Wikipedia (see Special:Preferences)
- You have an account that is a minimum of 1 year old
- You have a minimum of 1000 edits to the Wikimedia projects
- Ideally, you are active in content generation, research, and verification work.
- Expectations for use
- All editors are encouraged to apply where they have a need for background reading, research, verification, or content writing
- Editors should try out and use the HighBeam account during their free access period
- Editors should always provide original citation information, in addition to linking a HighBeam article
- Editors should review WP:V, WP:SAYWHEREYOUGOTIT, and WP:PAYWALL
- Editors should not use bare links to non-free HighBeam pages
- Editors should note (subscription required) in the citation, where appropriate
If your application suggests you've read this, we will give it a fair shot :)
HighBeam project administration signup (for account sign-ups, go here)
This project is looking for editors who want to assist in promoting and overseeing the application process. If you're interested in helping out, please sign your name below, with a brief note about what you'd like to do.
- Ocaasi t | c 21:45, 13 March 2012 (UTC) I've been in contact with HighBeam to work out the details of the program, and am setting up these project pages.
- Vejvančický (talk | contribs) 13:52, 14 March 2012 (UTC) I believe I could help review the applications.
- Cullen328 Let's discuss it 22:22, 14 March 2012 (UTC) I will help in whatever way possible, as I am enthusiastic about this resource.
- The Interior (Talk) 23:59, 14 March 2012 (UTC) I'm learning about managing online database access as part of my studies, excited that this opportunity came up. Let me know what I can do.
- Dipankan says.. ("Be bold and edit!") 14:26, 15 March 2012 (UTC) I will be spreading the news to the Wikipedia community.
- --Elitre (talk) 20:14, 15 March 2012 (UTC) I am going to notify the Italian communities.
- -- Agathoclea (talk) 07:57, 16 March 2012 (UTC) Can help review and sort - including communication in German if needed.
- --JayJasper (talk) 20:09, 19 March 2012 (UTC) Let me know what help is needed. I'll do what I can. HighBeam is an excellent resource, and it will truly be a boon for wikipedians to have greater access to it for sources.
- --NCurse work 08:03, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- --ViswaPrabha വിശ്വപ്രഭ (talk) 21:32, 1 April 2012 (UTC) To return the respects to both Wikipedia and the HighBeam, I would like to (1) propagate this great vista of surprising opportunity to the fellow-editors within my communities , (2)aid in the application processing framework and (3) possibly setting up a long-term results assessment program by auto-surveying citations and references. Thanks.
- Puffin Let's talk! 09:55, 12 April 2012 (UTC) - I can help in any way possible, especially with reviewing the applications. Puffin Let's talk! 09:55, 12 April 2012 (UTC)
- Livit⇑Eh?/What? 14:55, 13 April 2012 (UTC) Can help with the access code distribution, or whatever else is needed.
- Shearonink (talk) 01:09, 14 April 2012 (UTC) Let me know if there's any sweeping-up to do.
- Victuallers (talk) 15:16, 15 April 2012 (UTC) (Trustee of Wikimedia UK) - I'd like to publicly thank you and user:ocaasi. Wonderful Victuallers (talk) 15:16, 15 April 2012 (UTC)
- Zepppep (talk) 15:27, 15 August 2012 (UTC) Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Reviewing applications, getting the word out, etc.
- Example application
- [[User:Name]]. Active Wikimedia project(s). History of content, research, or verification work. Intentions for future research.
- User:Ocaasi. English Wikipedia. I write biographies about alternative medicine practitioners and Middle Eastern political activists. I intend to continue this work, specifically writing about Gabriel Cousens and the Egyptian presidential election, 2012. Ocaasi t | c 21:37, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
Apply here if you want an account or want to renew your old one
- User:Iselilja. Renewal. Mostly English Wikipedia lately, but also Norwegian bokmål Wikipedia. I write about society and politics, so newspaper articles are of high interest. I have found HighBeam especially valuable for topics from non-English speaking countries (other than Scandinavian) because there are often a draught of sources for those topics. Regards, Iselilja (talk) 17:30, 27 September 2013 (UTC)
- User:درفش کاویانی. Renewal. My account has expired, and I would like to extend it please. im ctive in Persian Wikipedia, Tajik Wikipedia, English Wikipedia and German Wikipedia. I start editing in wikipedia since 14 August 2008. i wrote 7 featured article and 3 good article in Persian Wikipedia. I write about History and Photography. Thanks Darafsh Kaviyani (Talk) 15:36, 3 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:TenPoundHammer. Renewal. Expired and I'd like to extend. I'm mainly active on retail and country music articles, and the Highbeam subsription was extremely useful in fleshing out mall articles. I've been editing since December 2005 and have created nearly 1,500 articles. Highbeam has a lot of information that is of great use to me. Ten Pound Hammer • (What did I screw up now?) 04:00, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:MrX. Renewal - I have used Highbeam extensively over the past year to add references to newly created and existing articles. I have more than 30,000 edits and have created 138 articles. Thank you for your consideration. - MrX 12:21, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Malik Shabazz Renewal. I've been an editor since 2006 and have made more than 76,000 edits. Very helpful resource. Thank you. — Malik Shabazz Talk/Stalk 18:48, 6 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Gobonobo. Renewal. Despite having library access to many databases, I often find myself wanting access to HighBeam sources. I intend to use access to work on historical biographies of women. Gobōnobō + c 20:20, 6 October 2013 (UTC)
- TheBigJagielka - I've been editing for about four years, I have made many edits and most of my edits are on historical association football competitions. TheBigJagielka (talk) 19:38, 7 October 2013 (UTC)
- WhisperToMe - I have been active editor for about a decade and I would like to have Highbeam to help expand my sourcing. I do not have highbeam access from an alternate source. WhisperToMe (talk) 17:39, 8 October 2013 (UTC)
- 4nn1l2 . Persian Wikipedia. It's the second year I'm editing on Wikipedia and of course enjoying it. I usually write about Middle East history, culture, and societies. Aside from Middle East topics, I enthusiastically edit articles on engineering and fundamental sciences. I have wrote 2 Featured article yet and expanded a whole bunch of other ones. I intend to expand my work on Wikipedia but unfortunately due to recent sanctions against Iran, I have lost my access to digital libraries. I really appreciate it if you let me have access to HighBeam. 4nn1l2 (talk) 11:36, 9 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Shalbat. Spanish Wikipedia. I have more than 24 000 edits and I have created more than 200 articles. I would like to go on with this work. --Shalbat (talk) 15:07, 9 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Smsarmad Renewal, I am an active English Wikipedia user and have more than 26,000 edits. I mostly edit articles related to Pakistan, a topic area that lacks in a number of ways, one of which is availability of online sources. HighBeam is a good resource and was helpful in creating/expanding a number of articles. -- SMS Talk 10:25, 10 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Mackensen Renewal. I've used HighBeam over the last year to improve our coverage of North American railroading topics. I do not have access from an alternative source. Thank you. Mackensen (talk) 13:05, 11 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Czar. enwp. History of education, art, and video games—mostly content expansion, new articles, but also source verification. I've hit the paywall dozens of times in the last year and my institution doesn't have HB access. My research time spent would be greatly improved with access. 13:12, 15 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Apwoolrich I am an independent scholar, interested in C19 industrial history and biography. Just now doing intensive research into Rees's Cyclopaedia Apwoolrich (talk) 06:59, 19 October 2013 (UTC)
- Doc Taxon : I am active in en:WP:REX and especially active in its German sister project de:WP:BIBA or de:WP:BIBR. I am looking for articles and literature for all the users who need it and for myself, to build well researched articles in English, German and Wikipedia of other languages. Thank you, -- Doc Taxon (talk) 13:47, 22 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Blackberry Sorbet. Interest lies largely in articles that often predate the commonality of the internet and access to HighBeams digitized archives of older print publications would be extremely useful in sourcing material as well as opening avenues for new articles which might otherwise fall by the wayside for lack of access to sources. BlackberrySorbet 18:24, 24 October 2013 (UTC)
- -jkb- (talk) 15:00, 27 October 2013 (UTC) dewiki, cswikisource, etc.; renewal needed for research in quite difficult themes (Czechoslovakia - History, Eastern Europe, etc.), thanks, -jkb- (talk) 15:00, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Aalfons Renewal. 19.000+ edits since 2007. dewiki, meta, relevance check, research support for other wikipedians. --Aalfons (talk) 20:55, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Thoughtfortheday Renewal. I have found some of the publications (often behind a payroll) very useful, for example for classical music content. I hope to introduce the resource to other wikipedians. Thoughtfortheday (talk) 21:11, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- Jason Rees: I have found some of the materials useful, so i would love to renew this account if at all possible.Jason Rees (talk) 21:13, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Dougweller Renewal I spent a lot of time finding source for articles on archaeology and history, and this has been very useful for me. About 107,000 edits. Dougweller (talk) 21:33, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- OwenX Renewal. Made good use of the service to dig up citations. Would love to continue. Thank you! Owen× ☎ 21:35, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- GrapedApe Renewal Really enjoyed the first year of the account, would like to do more. Over 4 years, have totaled 18,000 edits, 344 articles created, 4 Featured Lists, 5 Good Articles, and 18 DYKs. Typically edit articles in Wikipedia:WikiProject Universities, Wikipedia:WikiProject Pittsburgh and Wikipedia:WikiProject National Register of Historic Places. Future research interest is in fleshing out unique locales in Pittsburgh and expanding stub articles of historic places in Pennsylvania.--GrapedApe (talk) 22:04, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- Yoninah Renewal The service was very helpful for accessing archived articles on Jerusalem streets and architecture, and Jewish subjects and personalities from around the world. Another one-year subscription would be ideal. Thank you, Yoninah (talk) 22:23, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- Bbb23 Renewal. English Wikipedia. I use it often in sourcing issues when an Internet link is not used in the reference. I have over 50,000 edits.--Bbb23 (talk) 22:26, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- ssriram_mt New .English Wikipedia. I am part of wikiproject India and Hinduism and need higher reference sources. I have 18 GAs and more than 60,000 edits. I need the account for archived articles for either of the projects i am part of.Ssriram mt (talk) 22:29, 27 October 2013 (UTC)
- Khazar2 -- Renewal. One of the top 100 Wikipedians by edit count, have contributed to 40-50 Good Articles in the past year. I used Highbeam almost daily for its encyclopedias, reviews, and newspaper articles. -- Khazar2 (talk) 00:25, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- Go Phightins! -- Renewal. Highly useful for research on sports articles ... would really appreciate a renewal on my account. Thanks! Go Phightins! 00:30, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- OppidumNissenae -- Renewal -- I wrote about news 500 entries in some Italian VDQ is of medical interest and more, I think HighBeam is a valuable resource.OppidumNissenae (talk) 00:32, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- DCDuring. Most active as admin at English Wiktionary. We constantly need to attest to usage in a wide range of subject areas. One of our particular weaknesses is in coverage of terms used in contemporary workplace, especially other than computing. That in turn is partially attributable to lack of access to trade press, not well covered at Google or other free sources. English Wiktionary is an important resource for other wiktionaries. DCDuring (talk) 00:53, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- Roisterer (talk) 01:23, 28 October 2013 (UTC) Active member since 2004 with 22,000 & a bit edits, a couple of GAs and lots of article creation and editing, all of which would be greatly improved with a HighBeam subscription.
- Froid (talk) 08:05, 28 October 2013 (UTC). I meet the requirements and will fulfill expectations. Highbeam will enhance my contributions to Wikipedia; I've long wanted access, as when conducting research for the purposes of contributing or verification of preexisting content, I frequently encounter sources for which a subscription is required. My stats: # Froid (talk) 08:05, 28 October 2013 (UTC). First edit Sep 09, 2006 / Unique pages edited: 7,401 / Live edits: 20,734 / Deleted edits: 0 / Total edits (including deleted): 20,734.
- billreid -- Renewal as per my previous application. Thank you. --Bill Reid | (talk) 09:18, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- KrakatoaKatie Active English Wikipedia admin with around 20K edits - I mainly work on biographies but I often find great articles to improve, in many different subject areas, while doing admin work. It would be a great help to have access to the Highbeam database. :-) KrakatoaKatie 10:29, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- Harrias -- Renewal -- Very useful for sports articles research. Harrias talk 13:51, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- Esoglou -- I think HighBeam would be very useful both for adding new material and for checking attributions. Esoglou (talk) 19:45, 28 October 2013 (UTC)
- User:Enric Naval. Renewal I have successfully used Highbeam to locate newspaper articles for Mother's Day, cold fusion, crop circles and others. I intend to use HighBeam to keep locating old newspaper articles as necessity arises. Enric Naval (talk) 16:01, 29 October 2013 (UTC)
- Rlendog. Renewal - 50,000+ edits, over 100 articles created. Work on a number of projects, including mammals, music and sports. Useful for looking up information in old newspaper articles. Rlendog (talk) 19:58, 29 October 2013 (UTC)
- Mayooranathan -- New --I am an active Wikipedian in Tamil Wikipedia for 10 years now. I started more than 3,500 articles and improved many more. Highbeam access will be very usefull for me in the above work. Mayooranathan (talk) 09:48, 31 October 2013 (UTC)
- Ryoga Godai -- Renewal --My subscription expired this August. I edit music articles and anime, manga articles. Highbeam is a really useful source for old newspaper articles that are not usually found on the internet. A renewed subscription would really help me. ごだい (会話) 12:12, 31 October 2013 (UTC)
- Ca$e (talk). Renewal. I found HighBeam very useful. I work - currently with > 40k edits - on a range of topics esp. in philosophy and religious studies and am, among other things, involved in the respective editors' forums in the german WP. Ca$e (talk) 17:26, 31 October 2013 (UTC)
- SchroCat. Renewal: great source, and I now find myself struggling without it. - SchroCat (talk) 03:34, 1 November 2013 (UTC)
- Queeste Mostly active on the Dutch Wikipedia, less on the English. Especially interested in the psychology and psychiatry journals, in addition also history and religion. --Queeste (talk) 08:33, 1 November 2013 (UTC)
- Amqui Contributor on several Wikimedia projects, but would use this access mainly to contribute on the French Wikipedia where I wrote more than a dozen Good Articles, created more than 1,000 articles, and have more than 20,000 edits in the mainspace. I write on a lot of different subjects, including but not limited to anthropology, botany, ethnology, geography, history, religions and zoology. Amqui (talk) 19:39, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
- Tyrol5 -- Renewal. Great resource. I've worked on several historical U.S. election articles and having access to historical news articles is invaluable. Great to have access to journal articles as well when I dabble into the U.S. space program, etc. Tyrol5 [Talk] 00:44, 11 November 2013 (UTC)
- User:Hack. Renewal. Used this mostly for researching biographies on historical sporting figures. Hack (talk) 14:00, 14 November 2013 (UTC)
- John M Baker. New. English Wikipedia. I work on articles about finance and about words and phrases, and I contribute to the Reference Desk and the Resource Exchange. Although I have access to some other databases that I use for the Resource Exchange, I do not have HighBeam access. John M Baker (talk) 20:46, 16 November 2013 (UTC)
- Doug Coldwell. New. English Wikipedia. I work on articles about colonial people of the United States. I have about 300 Did You Know articles and over 20,000 edits. I do not have HighBeam access and believe it would give good biographical information.--Doug Coldwell (talk) 19:16, 29 November 2013 (UTC)
- Acather96 - New. I've been an editor on Wikipedia for nearly four years with 29000+ edits, would find access to sources extremely useful(especially if they include information on plants). Acather96 (click here to contact me) 20:55, 29 November 2013 (UTC)
- User:HueSatLum – New. English Wikipedia. I write about just about everything and find paywalls extremely frustrating. I believe HighBeam would provide more and higher-quality sources for writing better and more accurate articles. Cheers, ~HueSatLum 18:42, 5 December 2013 (UTC)