|Municipality of Belgium|
Avenue de Broqueville
|• Mayor||Olivier Maingain (FDF)|
|• Total||7.22 km2 (2.79 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2012)1|
|• Density||7,200/km2 (19,000/sq mi)|
Woluwe-Saint-Lambert (French pronunciation: [wolywe sɛ̃ lɑ̃bɛːʁ]) or Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe (Dutch, pronounced [sɪnt ˈlɑmbrɛçts ˈwoːlywə] ( )) is one of the nineteen municipalities located in the Brussels-Capital Region of Belgium. It is a prosperous residential area, with a mixture of flats and detached, semi-detached and terraced houses, often compared with Uccle (Ukkel in Dutch), another affluent Brussels municipality, and the 14th or 17th arrondissement in Paris.
In French it is often spelt Woluwé-Saint-Lambert with an acute accent on the first "e" to reflect the Frenchified pronunciation of what was originally a Dutch place name, but the official spelling is without an accent.
The neighbouring municipality of Woluwe-Saint-Pierre also lies within the Brussels-Capital Region, while the former municipality of Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Woluwe-Saint-Etienne in French) has been merged with three other municipalities (Zaventem, Nossegem and Sterrebeek) to form the municipality of Zaventem, which is in the province of Flemish Brabant in Flanders.
Woluwe hosts the medical faculty of the Université catholique de Louvain and its hospital, the Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc, and several shopping areas, notably the Avenue Georges Henri (Georges Henrilaan) and the Woluwe Shopping Centre. Some of the municipality's major roads are named after prominent 20th-century Belgian statesmen, such as the prestigious Avenue de Broqueville/de Broquevillelaan and Avenue Paul Hymans/Paul Hymanslaan. Line 1 (formerly line 1B) of the Brussels metro runs under these roads.
The Woluwe River flows through the municipality.
Several archaeological finds on the territory of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert show traces of human activity during the Bronze Age. The first historical mention of the village, however, dates from the 11th century, when some of the forested land near the Woluwe River was cleared for farming. A church was built and dedicated to Saint Lambert, the 7th-century bishop of Maastricht who was martyred in Liège. At the end of the 12th century, the rights to the parish of Saint Lambert were given to the canons of the chapter of St. Michael and Gudula in Brussels. Various charitable organizations and hospitals then started acquiring land in this area. Throughout the Middle Ages, Woluwe was part of the Duchy of Brabant, governed under the usual feudal arrangement of those times. Among the Dukes' vassals were some powerful local lords and landowners. Some of Woluwe's territory also belonged to the powerful abbeys of Forest (Vorst in Dutch) and ‘t Park in Leuven.
Up until recently, the village was mostly rural, focusing mainly on agriculture. Starting in the 16th century, affluent nobles and clergymen from Brussels built castles in Woluwe, some of which are still visible today. True urbanization, however, started only around 1900. Well-to-do neighbourhoods, which included some of the novel architectural styles of the Belle Epoque such as Art Nouveau then Art Deco, straddled the newly built Boulevard Brand Whitlock/Brand Whitlocklaan.
The population of the municipality increased very quickly at this time. It rose from 1,649 inhabitants in 1880 to 8,883 inhabitants 30 years later. By 1960 there were 36,960 people in the municipality, and since 1970 the population has been stable at around 47,000.2
Today, Woluwe-Saint-Lambert is still mostly a residential area, attracting rich and poor inhabitants from neighbouring Brussels.
- The surroundings of the Woluwe River have been laid out as park areas, such as Woluwe Park (in neighbouring Woluwe-Saint-Pierre) and Park Malou. Older historical buildings, such as the Lindekemale watermill (now a restaurant), the Hof ter Musschen farm (now a seminar centre), and the 16th-century Slot castle (now a chain restaurant), also tend to be found near the river.
- The Saint-Lambert church has a 12th-century Romanesque tower.
- The Marie la Misérable chapel (14th century).
- The municipality's Art Deco Town Hall, built in the 1930s, is located above the Tomberg metro station.
- The Wolubilis cultural village and theatre, located at Cours Paul Henri Spaak/Henri-Spaak promenade 1 (formerly Avenue Paul Hymanslaan 251), were inaugurated in 2006.
- The neoclassic Château Malou, built in 1776.
- Jules Malou, statesman and former Prime Minister of Belgium (1810–1886)
- Tarec Saffiedine, (born 1986) martial artist
- Hergé, (1907-1983) and creator of Tintin
- Prince Amedeo, Princess Maria Laura and Prince Joachim, born at Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc in 1986, 1988 and 1991 respectively.
- Princess Louise of Belgium and twins Prince Nicolas of Belgium and Prince Aymeric of Belgium, born at Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc in 2004 and 2005, respectively.
- Vincent Debaty, French rugby union footballer (b. 1981).
- Twins Jonathan Borlée and Kevin Borlée, and their younger sister Olivia Borlée, athletes.
Woluwe-Saint-Lambert is twinned with:
- Woluwe-Saint-Pierre or Sint-Pieters-Woluwe, an adjacent municipality
- Woluwe River
- Sint-Stevens-Woluwe, a district of an adjacent municipality.
- White Star Woluwe F.C.
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2012 (XLS; 214 KB)
- Joseph Warnier (February 2000). "Parlons des origines du site de Louvain-en Woluwe" (pdf) (in French). p. p2. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Woluwe-Saint-Lambert.|
- Official site of Woluwe-Saint-Lambert municipality (only in French or Dutch)
- Wolubilis cultural centre (only in French or Dutch)
- Hof ter Musschen (only in French or Dutch)
- Woluwe Shopping Centre
- Université catholique de Louvain