World's busiest port
The world's busiest port is contested by several ports around the world, as there is as yet no standardised means of evaluating port performance and traffic. For the past decade, the distinction has been claimed by both the Port of Rotterdam and the Port of Singapore. The former based its measurement on cargo tonnage handled (total weight of goods loaded and discharged), while the latter ranked in terms of shipping tonnage handled (total volume of ships handled). Since 2005, the Port of Shanghai has exceeded both ports to take the title in terms of total cargo tonnage.123
Lists of world's busiest:
The following ports have variously made claims (or had claims made for them):
- Port of Shanghai, China
- Port of Singapore, Singapore
- Port of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands
A study led by Bernd Blasius of the University of Oldenburg analyzed itineraries from 16,693 cargo ships for the entire year of 2009. They conducted their investigation using data from the Automatic Identification System and Lloyd's Register Fairplay by means of VHF receivers and GPS.
- "World Port Rankings 2005". American Association of Port Authorities. 2005. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "World Port Rankings 2006". American Association of Port Authorities. 2006. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "World Port Rankings 2007". American Association of Port Authorities. 2007. Retrieved 2009-09-15.dead link
- "Shanghai overtakes S'pore as world's busiest port". Straits Times. January 8, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Channel NewsAsia - Singapore retains ranking as busiest port in 2006". channelnewsasia.com. 2007-01-10. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Microsoft Word - PDP05-19a.doc" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- dead link
- dead link
- http://feel-kobe.jp/monogatari/pdf/50.pdfdead link
- "A Dover Study - Dover Town Council". Dovertown.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "index". Podpolice.freeuk.com. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- Tia Ghose (2010-01-25). "A Year of Global Shipping Routes Mapped by GPS | Wired Science". Wired.com. Retrieved 2010-07-10.