You're Beautiful (TV series)
Promotional poster for You're Beautiful
|Also known as||He's Beautiful|
|Directed by||Hong Sung-chang|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||60 min
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Original channel||Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS)|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Original run||7 October 2009– 26 November 2009|
|Preceded by||Swallow the Sun|
|Followed by||Will It Snow For Christmas?|
|Related shows||Ikemen desu ne|
|You're Beautiful SBS official website|
You're Beautiful (Hangul: 미남이시네요; Hanja: 美男이시네요; RR: Minamisineyo; literally: He's a handsome man; early broadcast generally known as: He's Beautiful) is a 2009 South Korean romantic comedy television drama series, starring Park Shin-hye, Jang Keun-suk, Lee Hong-ki of F.T. Island and Jung Yong-hwa of CN Blue. It is about a fictional boy band A.N.Jell and the relationship between its members when a female, posing as her twin brother, joins the group. It aired on Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) from October 7 to November 26, 2009 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 16 episodes.
The series has been posted on SBS's YouTube channel.1 A Japanese remake of this drama was released in Japan in July 2011 as Ikemen desu ne (美男ですね),2 and included a cameo appearance by Jang in Episode 8 as his Japanese counterpart, Gunsoku. A Taiwanese remake is also set to broadcast in 2013, which includes a cameo appearance by Park Shin-hye.3
Go Mi Nyu (Park Shin-hye) is a sister-in-training. Her twin brother, Go Mi Nam (Park Shin-hye) successfully auditions for the musical band A.N.JELL but is forced to leave for the United States to correct a botched plastic surgery. Mi Nyu is approached by Mi Nam's manager to pose as Mi Nam while he recovers. She is against it at first but agrees in order to fulfill her dream of finding their mother. Now, posing as Mi Nam, Mi Nyu enters the group A.N.JELL and meets its members: Hwang Tae Kyung (Jang Keun-suk), Kang Shin Woo (Jung Yong-hwa) and Jeremy (Lee Hongki). At first, Tae Kyung does not like Mi Nam and makes her life hard, Shin Woo and Jeremy are friendly to her. Tae Kyung discovers that Mi Nam is a girl and threatens to reveal it, Shin Woo discovers it but does not reveal it and develops feelings for her. The story follows their lives away from the cameras and Mi Nam's efforts to keep her secret. Her life is made harder by Tae Kyung's initial hatred for her and the evil actress Yoo He Yi, who likes Tae Kyung. As the story progresses, Jeremy finds himself struggling with developing feelings for Mi Nam as he doesn't know about Mi Nam being a girl until later during a press conference. Shin Woo falls deeper and deeper for Mi Nam as well. Tae Kyung also starts to like Mi Nam but doesn't realise it until later. Yoo He Yi, made Mi Nyu confess that she is a girl at her music video opening, but later seek that Tae Kyung Shin Woo and Jeremy there keeping her secret. Near the end Mi Nam comes back falling for Yoo He Yi. Shin Woo and Jeremy keep asking to see Mi Nyu, but it was Tae Kyung in the end that ended up with her heart.
- Park Shin-hye as Go Mi Nam (Male) / Go Mi Nyu (Female)
- Jang Keun Suk as Hwang Tae Kyung
- Jung Yong-hwa as Kang Shin Woo
- Lee Hongki as Jeremy
- Uee as Yoo He Yi
- Bae Geu Rin as Sa Yu Ri (fan club president)
- Kim In Kwon as Ma Hoon Yi (Mi Nam's manager- Manager Ma)
- Choi Ran as Go Mi Ja (Mi Nam & Mi Nyu's aunt)
- Kim Sung Ryung as Mo Hwa Ran
- Jung Chan as President Ahn
- Choi Soo Eun as Wang Coordi (Stylist of A.N.JELL)
- Tae Hwang as staff
- Yoo Seung Ho (cameo, ep9)
- After School as Before School
Jang Keun-suk and Park Shin-hye were both cast first, with director Hong Sung-chang stating that the two were well-suited to convey the “fresh” idol stars concept he wanted.4 Lee HongKi, who was a child actor, has made his acting comeback after a five year break (his last being Kkangsoon” in 2005pdl) by being cast as Jeremy.5 An SBS spokesperson stated that because Hong Ki is actually a part of an idol group F.T. Island , the "role will suit him very well." The role of Shin-woo marks Jung Yong-hwa's acting debut, which he auditioned for whilst preparing to debut with his band CN Blue in Japan.
During its run, several car companies offered to have their cars be used on the drama for promotional purposes.6 The latest car from the German automaker Audi introduced their Audi S4 on the miniseries, with Jang Keun Suk (Tae Kyung) driving it.
Additionally, the soundtrack of the miniseries also sold 20,000 copies within its first seven days of released due to the popularity of the show.7 The album became a top seller on all the various online sites, such as Melon, Dosirak, and Mnet.8 The album was written and produced by Han Sung-ho, who also worked on the dramas Lovers, On Air, and Brilliant Legacy.9 Also, the soundtrack sold almost 57,000 copies in 2011 in South Korea.
Because the drama features a concert footage in it, A.N.JELL actually performed a mini-concert,10 where it was reported that as many 25,000 fans showed up.11 The group performed the songs “Promise” and “Still”; Jang Keun Suk also sang “Good Bye” and “What Should I Do,” the latter of which is the track Tae Kyung remakes for his mother in the drama. Park Shin Hye sang her character’s theme song, “Lovely Day.” Numerous fans have watched the dramas online.1213 The drama also gained a cult following.14
The series was broadcasted in Japan on Fuji TV where it scored very high ratings beating out all of its competitors in its timeslot.15 The series became so popular in Japan it's believed to have overtaken the popularity of Winter Sonata another popular Korean drama in Japan.16 The series was so popular it was edited down to a movie version and played in movie theaters across Japan in 2011.17
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings18||AGB Nielsen19|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||7 October 2009||10.8% (11th)||11.6% (11th)||9.2% (16th)||9.7% (16th)|
|2||8 October 2009||9.6% (12th)||10.2% (11th)||7.6%||8.0%|
|3||14 October 2009||8.3% (17th)||8.5% (14th)||7.5% (20th)||8.1% (18th)|
|4||15 October 2009||8.9% (14th)||9.4% (11th)||7.7%||7.9%|
|5||21 October 2009||9.0% (18th)||9.2% (13th)||8.4% (18th)||8.5% (20th)|
|6||22 October 2009||10.0% (11th)||10.2% (11th)||8.9% (14th)||9.4% (14th)|
|7||28 October 2009||9.6% (14th)||10.2% (11th)||8.6% (18th)||8.8%|
|8||29 October 2009||9.8% (12th)||10.3% (11th)||9.0% (20th)||9.3% (20th)|
|9||4 November 2009||9.8% (17th)||10.3% (13th)||9.4% (15th)||9.6% (17th)|
|10||5 November 2009||10.0% (14th)||10.5% (11th)||10.8% (10th)||11.6% (9th)|
|11||11 November 2009||11.0% (10th)||11.3% (9th)||10.4% (13th)||10.5% (13th)|
|12||12 November 2009||11.1% (9th)||11.1% (9th)||10.9% (10th)||10.6% (12th)|
|13||18 November 2009||10.6% (13th)||11.1% (10th)||9.1% (19th)||8.8%|
|14||19 November 2009||10.1% (13th)||10.0% (12th)||9.4% (16th)||9.6% (17th)|
|15||25 November 2009||10.9% (10th)||11.7% (8th)||9.5% (15th)||9.6% (15th)|
|16||26 November 2009||11.9% (9th)||12.2% (9th)||10.3% (14th)||11.0% (11th)|
In Philippines, the show was aired by ABS-CBN entitled "He's Beautiful". It was part of the weekdays' afternoon block of shows- Kapamilya Gold.
Source: Kantar Media/TNS Philippines
- 2009 SBS Drama Awards20
- Top Ten Star Award (Jang Keun-suk)
- Netizen Highest Popularity Award (Jang Keun-suk)
- New Star Award (Park Shin-hye)
- New Star Award (Lee Hong Ki)
- New Star Award (Jung Yong-hwa)
- "SBS Video on Demand's YouTube channel". SBS. Retrieved May 28, 2011.
- "Takimoto Miori, Tamamori Yuta, Fujigaya Taisuke, Yaotome Hikaru star in "You’re Beautiful" remake". Tokyograph. May 17, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "장근석-박신혜 아이돌스타 다룬 ‘미남이시네요’ 캐스팅". Newsen (in Korean). August 7, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' 이홍기 "연기 도전, 부담 없다" (FT Island’s Hong Ki ready to return to acting)". JoyNews (in Korean). Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- Luxury carmakers target TV dramas HanCinema. November 16, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- OST album of 'You're Beautiful' soars with nearly 20,000 copies sold in the first week HanCinema. October 10, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남이시네요' OST 앨범 판매 대박행진! (A.N.JELL’s music is a hit)" BNT News. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "‘미남이시네요’ AN.Jell, 실제 가수로 활약?" ('You're Beautifuls AN.Jell To Work As Real Singers?. IS PLUS. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "‘미남’ 꽃미남 그룹 에이엔젤, 공개 미니 콘서트 연다! (A.N.JELL to hold a second mini-concert)". BNT News. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남' 마지막 콘서트, 3천명 구름관중 (A.N.JELL holds its last concert)". OSEN. November 23, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "이홍기 "'미남이시네요' 끝까지 응원해 달라"". Star News. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "'미남' 장근석, 팬들 응원에 힘났다". Sports Seoul. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "‘미남이시네요’가 ‘아이리스’에 기죽지 않는 이유 (You’re Beautiful’s passionate cult following)". IS PLUS. October 30, 2009. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "‘아내의 유혹’ 장서희, SBS연기대상 ‘대상’ 수상(종합) (Daesang (Grand Prize): Jang Seo Hee (Temptation Of Wife)". Nate.com. 2010-01-01. Retrieved 2011-03-04. Unknown parameter